Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What's easiest to grow in small space gardening?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:52 PM
  • 24 Replies
Hubby and I are getting serious about planting organic and non GMO fruit and vegetables this year. We only have a balcony but we're getting creative with how we plant.

What are the easiest things to grow in small space gardening?

We eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables so pretty much anything will help.
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:24 AM
I have a tiny area too. I got a hanging planter for tomatoes, it seems small and decent, I haven't set it up yet though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marie_Edelman2
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Tomatoes would be good! Maybe cucumbers and zucchini would work also.
LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't have much space either all our gardening is done in pots. We do cucumbers, peppers (bell,Anaheim,jalapeño), tomatoes, going to try lettuce this year, carrots, lots of things we can grow a single plant of. I also found a way on Pinterest to plant beans and peas so they can climb. I also do a smaller pot that's my herb garden.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:45 AM
I'm going to look that up! Thanks! We want to do peppers this year and tomatoes. I wish we could do squash because we eat so much of if but it is too big I think =(

Quoting LaideBug: I don't have much space either all our gardening is done in pots. We do cucumbers, peppers (bell,Anaheim,jalapeño), tomatoes, going to try lettuce this year, carrots, lots of things we can grow a single plant of. I also found a way on Pinterest to plant beans and peas so they can climb. I also do a smaller pot that's my herb garden.
LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM
I did a zucchini plant last year I put it in its own pot closer to the ground and it did pretty well but I wouldn't want anything much larger.

Quoting jconney80: I'm going to look that up! Thanks! We want to do peppers this year and tomatoes. I wish we could do squash because we eat so much of if but it is too big I think =(

Quoting LaideBug: I don't have much space either all our gardening is done in pots. We do cucumbers, peppers (bell,Anaheim,jalapeño), tomatoes, going to try lettuce this year, carrots, lots of things we can grow a single plant of. I also found a way on Pinterest to plant beans and peas so they can climb. I also do a smaller pot that's my herb garden.
mewebb82
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I love this site for ideas for growing in small spaces. urbanorganicgardener.com

You can grow all kinds of veggies, but the amount of sun you get will make a huge difference. When I was growing in an apartment, we had a lot of direct sunlight. I built a wood box to grow root veggies and greens (which need some shade) and then I built a shelf to sit over that which held planters with a few larger plants (tomatoes, peppers, squash, zucchini, etc.).

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM

we've grown tomato and sweet pepers in the hanging planters.  I cant get strawberries to grow that way though

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Tomatoes, herbs, carrots, cucumbers, peppers.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:39 PM
This is encouraging!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I just got one of these at the thrift store in the box! I hope it works well.

Quoting jellyphish: I have a tiny area too. I got a hanging planter for tomatoes, it seems small and decent, I haven't set it up yet though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN