Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

GAPS diet progress update

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:57 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this
I haven't updated in awhile. My mom has gotten cancer back. She had surgery and had a lot of complications from surgery. She's still in the hospital and trying to get better. Life has been crazy.

I've posted a couple of times if I'm remembering correctly about how I had horrible PMS and periods for years. I was really close to getting on hormonal birth control pills because it's the only thing that ever controlled it. I've had very heavy bleeding every month. Every month I turned into a raging psycho before my period lol.

This was my first cycle on GAPS. And every month a week before my period it gets bad. This month I realized that I hadn't turned into a fire breathing dragon! And my period was much lighter. I'm so surprised!! I really didn't think it would help. I am really happy though. It's hard to tell what was causing it but I've been that way pretty much my whole life if I'm not on birth control. After having my last two kids it got worse. Much worse. So yay!!

Also the first 15 lbs fell off of me. Shamefully I started out with 100 lbs to lose. I've lost 25 and gained muscle. I deal with severe sleep problems from my kids. But GAPS gave me energy to start working out so I've been working out a lot. My clothes are falling off of me and I'm almost 1/3 of the way to my weight loss goal! Just want to say though I'm not doing GAPS to lose weight. I'm doing it to be healthy and heal my gut. I am doing it with my kids too. But I'm determined to become healthy like I used to be so I'm making changes to do that
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:29 AM
I'm SOOO sorry to hear about you mom. :-(
(((Hugs)))

That's fantastic this diet is doing such great things for you! Way to go mama!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Hugs, is your mom still in the hospital? I will.be praying.

Great about gaps! I know a lot of people on that and swear by it.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:23 AM
Love and hugs for you and your mom. I'm so sorry.

That's fantastic about your health and improvements from a dietary change! Yay you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! Yeah we're pretty upset about her getting cancer back. But I'm just grateful to have her still with us after everything she's been through.

Quoting larissalarie: I'm SOOO sorry to hear about you mom. :-(
(((Hugs)))

That's fantastic this diet is doing such great things for you! Way to go mama!!!
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:42 AM
Thank you so much for your prayers! She's still in the hospital. She developed pneumonia not even 2 days after her surgery and was in surgical ICU immediately after surgery from losing too much blood and blood pressure dropping. Then the infection went into her blood. Then she started acting like she has Alzheimers because infections were causing her sodium to be low. They were telling us the cancer could be causing it. Then her abdomen was full of fluid and she had more infection. She's finally doing better now. Her sodium is going up on its own so they were wrong. She's off of oxygen. But they're still not letting her go home yet. They sent her home once and she went right back. She's been in there for 3 weeks already. It's been a roller coaster! Sheesh just reading that it's hard to imagine that all happened in that short time. I couldn't even talk to her about her own health because she was so confused for over two weeks from infection. I hate hospitals. It's like you need them to help but then the more you're there the more you get infections. Sorry I'm sure that was all TMI. We're really hoping the pneumonia is better and the infections so she can just go home. Her surgery was supposed to be easy. They removed 2 lymph nodes. It was anything but easy. And she still has to go through chemo. I hate cancer! All the more reason to do GAPS and be healthy. I wish my mom took better care of herself when she was younger so that's my incentive. My kids need me around as long as possible

Quoting Precious333: Hugs, is your mom still in the hospital? I will.be praying.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:44 AM
Thank you! <3

Quoting jellyphish: Love and hugs for you and your mom. I'm so sorry.

That's fantastic about your health and improvements from a dietary change! Yay you!
melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM
Prayers for healing of your mom.
And glad you're seeing such good results!
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:24 AM
So sorry about your mom :(. But it sounds like you're making awesome progress with GAPS
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I am so sorry about your mom, my dads doing well but cancer is just a bitch huh!?

I have heard so many great things about the GAPS diet...if my kids werent so picky and so skinny I would try it but I just cant do it just for me and hubby

Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM
:( me too! She and your family are definitely in my prayers! Keep us posted.

Quoting jconney80: Thank you so much for your prayers! She's still in the hospital. She developed pneumonia not even 2 days after her surgery and was in surgical ICU immediately after surgery from losing too much blood and blood pressure dropping. Then the infection went into her blood. Then she started acting like she has Alzheimers because infections were causing her sodium to be low. They were telling us the cancer could be causing it. Then her abdomen was full of fluid and she had more infection. She's finally doing better now. Her sodium is going up on its own so they were wrong. She's off of oxygen. But they're still not letting her go home yet. They sent her home once and she went right back. She's been in there for 3 weeks already. It's been a roller coaster! Sheesh just reading that it's hard to imagine that all happened in that short time. I couldn't even talk to her about her own health because she was so confused for over two weeks from infection. I hate hospitals. It's like you need them to help but then the more you're there the more you get infections. Sorry I'm sure that was all TMI. We're really hoping the pneumonia is better and the infections so she can just go home. Her surgery was supposed to be easy. They removed 2 lymph nodes. It was anything but easy. And she still has to go through chemo. I hate cancer! All the more reason to do GAPS and be healthy. I wish my mom took better care of herself when she was younger so that's my incentive. My kids need me around as long as possible

Quoting Precious333: Hugs, is your mom still in the hospital? I will.be praying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)