Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Do you or your kids eat cereal?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:11 AM
  • 44 Replies

My goal is to remove cereal from my kids food list but they love it and it's quick and easy for them in the mornings.

I've tried making them eggs in the morning, that works for a day or two and then they're over it. I've tried making waffles ahead of time, freezing and all they need to do is throw them in the toaster and reheat, they don't eat them. Same with pancakes. They do eat oatmeal sometimes but now we're hopefully coming into warmer months and they'll eat less of it.

I know the easy answer is to just stop buying the cereal but while that is the easy answer it would also cause a lot of discord and DH would end up giving in and getting them some.

Sooo, how do I make it so they want to eat stuff other than cereal in the morning? Do you have any tried and true ideas for breakfasts?

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Yes. We have yet to get rid of the cereal. I would like to though.
Decemberlov
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:20 AM
my one dd does the other doesn't like milk so no cereal for her. the little one lives envirokids cereal, no gmos and decent ingredients.
mewebb82
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:29 AM

They do, but not often. I don't often have time to cook breakfast in the mornings so I keep it simple.

Yogurt with granola and fruit

Toast with sunbutter or almond butter and fruit

hard boiled egg sliced on top of toast

My daughter loves just a banana rolled up in a whole grain tortilla for breakfast

melindabelcher
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:33 AM
All the time. even not for breakfast
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I'm not a ceral fan.  We are big on eggs and bacon for breakfast.  I like the classics, lol.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 28, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Were not big cereal fans.  We eat a lot of pancakes, I make the batter ahead of time and just heat them fresh in the morning.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 2:15 PM
I'm a cereal addict, and I'm also trying to turn that around. It's very rare I have cereal now, The Little never gets it, but I'm having a hard time breaking Biggie's love of cereal. I make eggs or overnight oatmeal most days, and those are great. Fruit smoothies are another good option, home made muffins, things of the sort.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 2:17 PM
Seriously!! It's such a yummy before bed time snack, I'm trying SOO hard not to do that anymore though!

Quoting melindabelcher: All the time. even not for breakfast
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
My children rarely eat cereal. They have it occasionally as a treat. We treat it like any other junk food.
I don't know how you break a junk food addiction in your kids if you aren't willing to stop buying it for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonInfinity
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Sometimes my kids eat cereal. But most of the time I fix fresh fruits or make chocolate chip peanut butter pancakes or might make strawberry and banana waffles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)