Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

GAPS Diet? opinions/experiences?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:05 PM
  • 4 Replies
Anyone tried it with their children?

Also, if you are really savvy on the diet, maybe you can help me understand why chickpeas/garbanzos, fava beans and soy are not permitted? While I am just getting up to speed on why fermented foods might be beneficial, I already use a lot of bean-based meals to stretch our familiy budget (plus we like them), so I was surprised to see those items on the AVOID list when I went to the gapsdiet.com page. I noticed acidophillus is also to be avoided, and yet it seems to be a popular probiotic, so that is confusing. I don't have the book yet.
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM

We just started our whole family on it almost 2 months ago. Mostly all dairy is to be avoided unless it's fermented or specific types of cheese. There are a couple of types of beans that are allowed on the diet. I think you are supposed to avoid beans because of the starch/sugar problem it can cause. Soy is just really not good for anyone since most of it is GMO. But I know you are supposed to heal the gut by only eating specific foods. It has made a huge difference in myself. My horrible PMS/periods are gone. My mood is gone and my anxiety is better. My kids have made a lot of progress as well. My son's hyperactivity has been reduced by about 80% and he isn't melting down all the time like he did before. Him and my youngest had major yeast die off. It was obvious that they have a lot of yeast overgrowth. I really am happy we did the intro diet even though it's hard. My two younger kids have had a really tough time cooperating but we are working on it. They're still eating all beginning stages of GAPS foods. I'm just struggling to get them to drink the broth! If you have any questions I'll try to help out. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Mine would rather starve honestly so nope

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Taking notes...
conejoazul
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 9:57 AM
so, do you recommend getting the book as a guide or are you finding enough guidance on the web? also, how did you recognize your children had issues with yeast? thanks!

Quoting jconney80:

We just started our whole family on it almost 2 months ago. Mostly all dairy is to be avoided unless it's fermented or specific types of cheese. There are a couple of types of beans that are allowed on the diet. I think you are supposed to avoid beans because of the starch/sugar problem it can cause. Soy is just really not good for anyone since most of it is GMO. But I know you are supposed to heal the gut by only eating specific foods. It has made a huge difference in myself. My horrible PMS/periods are gone. My mood is gone and my anxiety is better. My kids have made a lot of progress as well. My son's hyperactivity has been reduced by about 80% and he isn't melting down all the time like he did before. Him and my youngest had major yeast die off. It was obvious that they have a lot of yeast overgrowth. I really am happy we did the intro diet even though it's hard. My two younger kids have had a really tough time cooperating but we are working on it. They're still eating all beginning stages of GAPS foods. I'm just struggling to get them to drink the broth! If you have any questions I'll try to help out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN