Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Post-term info needed

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:18 PM
  • 26 Replies

I have a IRL friend that had her first child roughly 6 months ago via csection (young, didnt know better, determined to have a VBAC). I posted an older article about pregnancies being naturally longer then what we are all taught and now she is curious about going postterm which as we all know we are taught is dangerous. Other then the ACOG stating that going postterm (after 42 weeks) being only slightly riskier but the risks being rare what else can I post?

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:42 AM
I'm confused, are you looking fork co on vbacs or ftms going beyond 40w?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arismommy611
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:46 AM
One of the post term risks for a vbac is potentially rupturing the c-section scar during pushing. This would be the scar on the uterus, not the stomach.
melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 31, 2014 at 6:53 AM
Is she currently pregnant?
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Is she looking for info to understand her first birth or for her next birth?

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:08 PM

The risks are greater for babies who are small for gestational age.  Once you take that into consideration, there is little to no increased risk for babies who are normal size.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:20 PM

shes very well educated on VBACs now so its postterm info I am needing because she was taught its deadly to go past 42 weeks

Quoting jellyphish: I'm confused, are you looking fork co on vbacs or ftms going beyond 40w?

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:20 PM

no but will be TTC soon

Quoting melindabelcher: Is she currently pregnant?

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:21 PM

her next. she was induced at 40 weeks with her first and ended in the old failure to progress which she now understands was false...she had no idea a mom could go past 42 weeks without killing the baby

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Is she looking for info to understand her first birth or for her next birth?

melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:51 PM
If im not mistaken she wouldn't be considered for a vbac if she had a csection within 18mo of conceiving.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

no but will be TTC soon

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:53 PM

its only a recommendation but no solid proof the waiting longer helps since every body heals at different rates and it not set in stone and all the doctor around her go by from deliver to deliver...not from birth to conception. 

Quoting melindabelcher: If im not mistaken she wouldn't be considered for a vbac if she had a csection within 18mo of conceiving.
Quoting Nicolle_09:

no but will be TTC soon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)