Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

newborn screening

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 6:59 PM
  • 23 Replies
I talked with a midwife today. She handed me a notebook that goes into detail about different things that may or may not happen depending on my consent.
One is the hearing test. I don't remember having it done with my last birth, which was last yr. The only way to get out of it is religious reasons. Anyway. Did any of your babies have this test done?
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaNickelatti
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Both of my boys did. It was very simple and was done while they slept
melindabelcher
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:06 PM
The hospital does it prior to discharge automatically, at least here in mass it's been like this since I had my first over 6yrs ago.
Why not do it?
kajira
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I don't see the big deal with the hearing screening test. That one's not very invasive and doesn't expose them to any chemicals.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Exactly ^
Non invasive, non stressful, both girls had it done and I have no qualms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM
I've never had it done because I didn't know about it. Now that I do I'm wanting to get information on it.
melindabelcher
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:43 PM
Did your previous baby ever go to the newborn nursery?
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:54 PM

My first one yes, so she probably had it done. That was 13 yrs ago. My second one was a home birth so no. My midwife did have me go and get the PKU test done, but nothing else. 

Quoting melindabelcher: Did your previous baby ever go to the newborn nursery?

Lotusblooming
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Mine did, I was told cps would be called if I didn't have it done. I had a home birth and had to take her in. They just listen to something in their ear while they sleep. Takes a few mins no big deal.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:45 PM
I wish they wouldn't threaten or involve cps for such small matters. It should be our choice and they should respect that.

Quoting Lotusblooming:

Mine did, I was told cps would be called if I didn't have it done. I had a home birth and had to take her in. They just listen to something in their ear while they sleep. Takes a few mins no big deal.

rebekahmuse
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 9:48 PM

My first two did at the hospital. This time I'm using a birthing center and they will perform it there too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN