Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

seperation anxiety

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:09 AM
  • 53 Replies

my 4 month old has seperation anxiety. I also had it as a young child. My daughter is 4 months old. What can I do about that?

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM
At four months, I really don't know. Is this an issue when you have to leave for work or just in general?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ahleesha14
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:55 AM

if I leave the room or go anywhere to the bathroom she cries. I used to be able to do dishes without her crying when I leave the room. I have to take her with me so she doesn't cry.  I think at night when she wakes up in the middle of the night and sees I am not in there she cries to see where I am at.  I am having an issue with her sleeping now. Her crib used to be in my room now she has her won room since we moved into a house a little over a month ago. I just can't leave the room without her crying though.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Ok, that's a little easier. It's going to take patience and understanding on your part though. Right around three months is when babies typically figure out mommy is a separate Person, and that's a scary concept. The best thing you can do is teach her that you are always there for her. The way to do that,'is to always be there for her. Try wearing her more. If co sleeping is an option, consider that (that's how baby brains are hard wired anyway), that alone could make life much easier for you. Just respect that she's afraid and anxious, try to calm her by building her confidence in you.
GL! This too shall pass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:14 PM
I agree

Quoting jellyphish: Ok, that's a little easier. It's going to take patience and understanding on your part though. Right around three months is when babies typically figure out mommy is a separate Person, and that's a scary concept. The best thing you can do is teach her that you are always there for her. The way to do that,'is to always be there for her. Try wearing her more. If co sleeping is an option, consider that (that's how baby brains are hard wired anyway), that alone could make life much easier for you. Just respect that she's afraid and anxious, try to calm her by building her confidence in you.
GL! This too shall pass.
ahleesha14
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM

ok i can try wearing her more. I don't know when she is in my sling it doesn't feel like she is close enough or she is tight enough on me. I am afraid she will fall or something. I know the one time I had her in there she spit up all over it. She is pretty good at holding her head up but not quite there yet.  I face her toward me but it still feels weird. I will have to wear her more for her to get used to it. Also co- sleeping is not an option. I usually sleep on the couch after a certain time and she is on the floor. My husband said no because he is afraid she will be smothered by the covers. Of course my dr told me that was not a good choice. I was doing that at one time and it worked. Now that I am not allowed its harder. I put her in bed with me when my husband leaves for work though. I appreciate all the advice ladies. I am a first time parent and just trying to figure out how to be the best mommy I can be! Its hard when I have no idea what I am doing.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:46 PM
There is a right way and a dangerous way to use a sling. What kind is it?
Check YouTube video tutorials and/or look for a baby wearing group in your area for help if you feel uncomfortable. The big rules are to make sure baby is breathing and that her chin is not on her chest. Chin can not be on chest!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this
What about side carring? Co sleeping isn't limited to bed sharing. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ahleesha14
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I am not sure what kind it is. Her chin is never on my chest. Her head is to the side.  She likes to move her head a lot. I will have to look on your tube for tutorials to see how to wear her properly.

ahleesha14
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM

what is side carring?

CampbellMama
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Her chin can't ne on HER chest. It obstructs the airway. Put your chin on your chest and breathe. Feel the difference?!
Good luck!

Quoting ahleesha14:

I am not sure what kind it is. Her chin is never on my chest. Her head is to the side.  She likes to move her head a lot. I will have to look on your tube for tutorials to see how to wear her properly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)