Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homebirth experiences?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:35 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi. I have 3 children, all who were born naturally in a hospital. Now pregnant with baby #4, I have decided to have a home waterbirth. I would love to hear stories and opinions about homebirths. Thanks!
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I had a home waterbirth with my fourth and it was amazing!!!! My opinion is super favorable :).
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I had four in the hospital and my last two at home!

With #5 the midwife charged extra for the birth pool and laboring in the tub was NOT comfortable.  Looking back, it would have been worth the money.  I had extreme hip and leg pain during the pregnancy and was almost at the point of using a wheelchair.  Labor was very painful because of that.  A birth pool would have helped. 

With #6 I had a birthing pool (included in the cost of the midwife) but she came after less then an hour of labor and the pool wasn't even full yet!!

JoJoBean8
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Bump for homebirthers!

rachell-marie
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much for sharing! I have invested in a birthing pool, my midwife thought that would be the best way to go :)

Quoting micheledo:

I had four in the hospital and my last two at home!

With #5 the midwife charged extra for the birth pool and laboring in the tub was NOT comfortable.  Looking back, it would have been worth the money.  I had extreme hip and leg pain during the pregnancy and was almost at the point of using a wheelchair.  Labor was very painful because of that.  A birth pool would have helped. 

With #6 I had a birthing pool (included in the cost of the midwife) but she came after less then an hour of labor and the pool wasn't even full yet!!

Lotusblooming
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM

You deff want a pool. I didn't give birth in the pool but it was amazing for labor. I recommend planning to give birth where ever feels right at the time. I ended up having my lil girl standing and would do so again (with an open plan). I had planned a water birth but idk in the moment it just felt right.

FrumpyMama
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I loved my homebirth with my second and am exicted to be doing it again in a few months for number 3. It was literally the most stress free thing in the world. We live about 15-20mins away from any hospital but just having to get into a car and drive to one caused me so much anxiety with my first that my labor actually stalled for two hours. 

I also love sleeping in my own bed afterwards. 

.jillybean.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I had my first two babies via c-section, so when I got pregnant with my third last May, I decided to find a midwife and planned a home birth. My baby was born at 42 weeks and 2 days. I had initially wanted the pool, but I had such bad back labor that I wasn't comfortable unless I was standing up and moving around. I had on again-off again labor for about 5 days total. But when it comes down to it, I would do this again. It was such a beautiful experience, and I wasn't forced to have another c-section and I did things on my own terms, which I had never got to do before. I love how you have freedom to choose how to birth and it was a lot less stressful for me to do it this way.

AubryJ
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I had a homebirth. Everything was perfect until the few minutes before he was born and his heart decelerated. I had my son at 42  weeks and 2 days. Transferred to hospital because baby wasn't breathing well on his own. Shoulder dystocia caused him distress and his first apgar score was 0. They wouldn't transport us together and it was hours before I saw him again. While I attempted to deliver the placenta police officers were all through out my house photographing everything. Refused to leave my bedroom and allow me to deliver the placenta. When I should have been pushing I was crying asking the men to leave my bedroom. Defintiely worst experience of my life. I still don't know why I was investigated. Homebirth is not illegal in Missouri. Four days in the NICU for "observation." When I asked to go home a day early (like we were going to be discharged the next morning anyway) they called CPS and threatened to take custody of my son. 

sjk_maybe_mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Have you thought about seeking legal counsel? You were treated VERY poorly, and, it seems to me, very likely in violation of your rights.

Quoting AubryJ:

I had a homebirth. Everything was perfect until the few minutes before he was born and his heart decelerated. I had my son at 42  weeks and 2 days. Transferred to hospital because baby wasn't breathing well on his own. Shoulder dystocia caused him distress and his first apgar score was 0. They wouldn't transport us together and it was hours before I saw him again. While I attempted to deliver the placenta police officers were all through out my house photographing everything. Refused to leave my bedroom and allow me to deliver the placenta. When I should have been pushing I was crying asking the men to leave my bedroom. Defintiely worst experience of my life. I still don't know why I was investigated. Homebirth is not illegal in Missouri. Four days in the NICU for "observation." When I asked to go home a day early (like we were going to be discharged the next morning anyway) they called CPS and threatened to take custody of my son. 

sjk_maybe_mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Had a hospital birth with my 1st. Horrible horrible experience.  Had a homebirth with my 2nd.  Most amazing experience of my life.  Healed me from my first birth.  Will give you more details if you'd like.  Will try later to find my story and can PM you if interested.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)