Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I have some questions about Natural birth.

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

What are some things you ladies did to keep your child's birth as natural as possible? I'm open, under extenuating circumstances, to use what we need for a healthy baby and mama but I want to at least TRY natural methods first. I'm 32 weeks 6 days along with a boy. <3
I will be delivering at a military hospital on post at Fort Riley in Kansas if anybody has experience here that would be fantastic as well.

I've read some about using Evening Primrose Oil to help open the cervix as well as helping to not tear (which I did with my daughter, my fault though).

Do any of y'all have experience with Red Rasberry Leaf Tea?

I've also been looking into different labor/delivery positons so that I can avoid any issues with baby's positioning and can hopefully turn him via that way instead of having to do an emergency c-section as well as a comfortable position to deliver him in as opposed to lying on my back with my feet in the air LOL

I do have a labor tub available at the hospital as long as nobody else is using it.

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 7, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I advise against EPO becacuse its found to cause bag to rupture before labor actually starts.  RRL tea is GREAT though I would start that now!

BEST thing to do is no internal exams if you can help it, long labors are fine and not a reason to give pitocin or anything else. DO NOT allow them to break water. Birth balls are great for labor.

Do you have a doula? If not look into one!

Hynobabies is great for natural births too!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 7, 2014 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

BTW welcome to the group and congrats!

micheledo
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

STAY HOME AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!!!

You can labor the way you choose at home.  Once I get to the hospital and am told to lay down, I don't want to move again.  And labor is much more difficult (for me) in that position.  

Baby 1 - induced, no other drugs
Baby 2 - induced, 'non-working' epidural (in quotes, because even non-working did something)
Baby 3 - induced and epidrual
Baby 4 - natural hospital birth (no drugs)
Baby 5 and 6 - homebirths

BEST birth was my last, but my 4th was also amazing.  I labored at home - standing, walking, reclined on the couch, supported by pillows, back of couch, etc.  Whatever made me comfortable.  I went in at 9.5 cm.  :D  Homebirths were amazing for a couple of reasons, but a big one was that I did what I wanted and had no instructions from anyone.  They just followed me around and even crawled on the floor to listen to baby's heartbeat! 

Lotusblooming
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 6:07 PM
2 moms liked this

The tub or a pool is great for pain and a doula would be super helpful with all that stuff. Stay off your back as much as you can, walking can both help baby move down and the labpr progress. I gave birth standing and if I have more would like to again (I do like to be open to what feels right in the moment). 

RGalgano88
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Thanks for replying!

I have not heard/read anything about EPO causing the bag to rupture prematurely, is that due to taking it orally? What I read says not to take/use it until after 37 weeks. I was going to wait to use the oil until after I started contractions and use it directly on the cervix. (the information I got was from the Birthing Naturally website.)

I'm not too worried about a long labor I'm also planing to labor at home as long as I can. When I had my daughter I started contractions around dinner, went to bed and they started keeping me awake around 2 am, we went to the hospital around 7am, I was told I could start pushing at 10:30am and she was born at 10:41 am. 

The internal exams you mention, are those the ones they do at your last few appointments before delivery or the ones once you check in after labor has started?

I have in my "birth plan" to not break the water. I'm also glad they have a birth ball as well as a labor tub and a few other items to help with labor at the hospital here, I also have one here at home I plan to use while I'm here.

I will have my mother as well as my husband in the room. My mother is a fantastic "support" person has had 5 children (2 at hospitals one at home and 2 with midwives in a birthing center) and if it wasn't for her the hospital part with my daughter would probably have gone differently. she does a lot of research and she helped me understand what the doctors were talking about when they were letting me know what was going on. I'm also hoping my friend and CNA will be able to be there with me as well, she is going to school to be (I can't remember the official name lol) the person who takes care of the newborns as soon as they are born. So she has been studying all the newest medical stuff and knows I want natural and will basically act as my doula. and explain anything the doctors are wanting to do and step in to make sure something isn't done without my concent.

*Googling Hypnobabies* as I have never heard of it.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I advise against EPO becacuse its found to cause bag to rupture before labor actually starts.  RRL tea is GREAT though I would start that now!

BEST thing to do is no internal exams if you can help it, long labors are fine and not a reason to give pitocin or anything else. DO NOT allow them to break water. Birth balls are great for labor.

Do you have a doula? If not look into one!

Hynobabies is great for natural births too!

RGalgano88
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Thanks!

Yes I'm going to get one of those kiddie pools for here at home since we have a small tub. they have a "labor tub" at the hospital but I'm not allowed to birth in it like I was hoping to be able to :-/
We're actually fixing to go out for a walk now LOL but yes I'm hoping to be doing lots of walking (moving around), as long as is comfortable, while I'm in labor.

How was the standing? I've heard standing, kneeling or on all fours are a couple of the more comfortable (and better for mama/baby) delivery positions.

Quoting Lotusblooming:

The tub or a pool is great for pain and a doula would be super helpful with all that stuff. Stay off your back as much as you can, walking can both help baby move down and the labpr progress. I gave birth standing and if I have more would like to again (I do like to be open to what feels right in the moment). 

RGalgano88
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I've thought about doing a home birth but we live on a military post and I don't think I am allowed. If I did I would probably have to pay for any medical personell (ie midwife/doula/doctor) out of pocket where as if I go to the hospital everything is covered. But depending on how well my labor goes it may accidentallly happen which could be awesome. I should probably look into what we would need to do if that happens.
My mom had a planned home birth, the midwife didn't make it there in time to deliver and my dad had to catch my little brother. They had no issues but that was in 1990 and not military related...

Quoting micheledo:

STAY HOME AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!!!

You can labor the way you choose at home.  Once I get to the hospital and am told to lay down, I don't want to move again.  And labor is much more difficult (for me) in that position.  

Baby 1 - induced, no other drugsBaby 2 - induced, 'non-working' epidural (in quotes, because even non-working did something)Baby 3 - induced and epidrualBaby 4 - natural hospital birth (no drugs)Baby 5 and 6 - homebirths

BEST birth was my last, but my 4th was also amazing.  I labored at home - standing, walking, reclined on the couch, supported by pillows, back of couch, etc.  Whatever made me comfortable.  I went in at 9.5 cm.  :D  Homebirths were amazing for a couple of reasons, but a big one was that I did what I wanted and had no instructions from anyone.  They just followed me around and even crawled on the floor to listen to baby's heartbeat! 

JMmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I delivered my 4th baby naturally at a military hospital. I have a (untested, unproven, lol) theory that military doctors are more likely to let you control your birth because if their shift is over before the baby is born the next doctor just comes on and does the delivery, if you are taking awhile it doesn't have to affect their schedule, if they have a vacation coming up a different doc attends the delivery, and they get paid the same regardless of what kind of birth you have. My military ob literally came into the room, stood to the side while I did my thing and then caught my baby. The only reason she caught the baby was my position (standing holding a bar) wouldn't allow me to catch him and DH didn't want to. 

RGalgano88
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:15 PM

That is AWESOME!!! do you mind me asking which post this was?
The doctor I have here is a midwife and is FANTASTIC! The hospital on the other hand is rated like a 3.8 (one being best and 5 being worst). I'm praying that shes the one working when I go in since I haven't met any of the other doctors and the couple nurses I met I did not like becasue they were very rude.

I have my fingers crossed that your *theory* is correct! haha  

Quoting JMmama:

I delivered my 4th baby naturally at a military hospital. I have a (untested, unproven, lol) theory that military doctors are more likely to let you control your birth because if their shift is over before the baby is born the next doctor just comes on and does the delivery, if you are taking awhile it doesn't have to affect their schedule, if they have a vacation coming up a different doc attends the delivery, and they get paid the same regardless of what kind of birth you have. My military ob literally came into the room, stood to the side while I did my thing and then caught my baby. The only reason she caught the baby was my position (standing holding a bar) wouldn't allow me to catch him and DH didn't want to. 

Lotusblooming
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Standing was great. I hadn't planned on doing that I was planning a water birth but it the moment it just felt right and I got to hold on to my husband the whole time. After she came I got to sit and hold her while we let the cord pulse. The only weird thing about my birth is I here women talk about pushing and I never pushed, my body did. She just came out with each contraction, I couldn't of helped it or stopped it if I wanted to. Also never felt the whole ring of fire thing, not sure if standing had anything to do with that or not. 

Quoting RGalgano88:

Thanks!Yes I'm going to get one of those kiddie pools for here at home since we have a small tub. they have a "labor tub" at the hospital but I'm not allowed to birth in it like I was hoping to be able to :-/We're actually fixing to go out for a walk now LOL but yes I'm hoping to be doing lots of walking (moving around), as long as is comfortable, while I'm in labor.

How was the standing? I've heard standing, kneeling or on all fours are a couple of the more comfortable (and better for mama/baby) delivery positions.

Quoting Lotusblooming:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN