Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Hb booster and latch

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:28 AM
  • 13 Replies
My manual didn't say either way. When using a hb booster it does not get installed with the latch clips right? It's supposed to just sit loose in the car?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Depending on the seat. 

You would need to call the maker to see what their rules are. 

If it able to install with latch in booster mode you would want it to be a more loose install so the seat can still move with her. 

Latch would make it easy in that you wouldn't have to make sure it was buckled when she isn't in it. 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM
So using latch wouldn't keep her safer? That's all I care about.
It's a sure latch thing, so there's no way to make it latch more loosely. I did notice it said not to use the tether in booster mode though. I found that interesting.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Depending on the seat. 

You would need to call the maker to see what their rules are. 

If it able to install with latch in booster mode you would want it to be a more loose install so the seat can still move with her. 

Latch would make it easy in that you wouldn't have to make sure it was buckled when she isn't in it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Nope,latch won't make her safer in booster mode. In a booster, she's being held back by the seat belt. The latch is only so you don't have to buckle in an unused booster to reduce projectile risk. I would call the manufacturer and see if you can. It's just convenience though.

How old is she again?
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:44 AM
No a tight latch install would hold the booster back instead of allowing it to move with her. I personally wouldn't use a tight latch in booster mode.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:12 AM

agreed

Quoting melindabelcher: No a tight latch install would hold the booster back instead of allowing it to move with her. I personally wouldn't use a tight latch in booster mode.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Ok thank you. She's six. But 42 lbs. but either you or Melinda told me harnessing is not safer than hb booster, and she's super mature and very dilligent about car seat safety.

This baffles me though, just because adult seats are stationary, and obviously harnessed seats are stationary. I can understand why it wouldn't be safer to latch it, but I don't understand why it would be unsafe to latch it. But hey, I am no physics major!
Anyway, thanks so much for your help! I switched her this morning and she's happy. :)

Quoting MaryJarrett: Nope,latch won't make her safer in booster mode. In a booster, she's being held back by the seat belt. The latch is only so you don't have to buckle in an unused booster to reduce projectile risk. I would call the manufacturer and see if you can. It's just convenience though.

How old is she again?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM
I won't. And I assume it's not ok to use the tether loosely, right?

Quoting melindabelcher: No a tight latch install would hold the booster back instead of allowing it to move with her. I personally wouldn't use a tight latch in booster mode.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep, that's correct. Used properly, there is no proven difference at her age and size. It's because the booster doesn't actually do any of the work. It's just a pre-crash positioner. Like the chest clip in a harnessing seat. It doesn't actually hold the child in, the straps do, but the chest clip holds them in the proper place. Same concept. The booster holds her so that the belt will be in the proper place. I'm glad she likes it! I was considering seeing how Serenity likes it once she hits 6-6.5.

Quoting jellyphish: Ok thank you. She's six. But 42 lbs. but either you or Melinda told me harnessing is not safer than hb booster, and she's super mature and very dilligent about car seat safety.

This baffles me though, just because adult seats are stationary, and obviously harnessed seats are stationary. I can understand why it wouldn't be safer to latch it, but I don't understand why it would be unsafe to latch it. But hey, I am no physics major!
Anyway, thanks so much for your help! I switched her this morning and she's happy. :)

Quoting MaryJarrett: Nope,latch won't make her safer in booster mode. In a booster, she's being held back by the seat belt. The latch is only so you don't have to buckle in an unused booster to reduce projectile risk. I would call the manufacturer and see if you can. It's just convenience though.

How old is she again?
PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

The high back booster is to make sure the shoulder and seat belt is positioned properly.  The seat belt and shoulder belt restrain her.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:41 PM
What seat is it?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)