Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

cereal

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM
  • 27 Replies

my baby is 5 months old did you guys start your babies on cereal or wait the full 6 months. I wanted to start mine in like 2 weeks but I don't think the dr will tell me how much to give her. I am going to be going to TN and she will be turning 6 months when we are there. Did you guys wait and any advice?

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM
No solids until AT LEAST 6 months, then feed them real food (or real food purees) not cereal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Babies can't digest grains until somewhere around 12 months so it's pointless to start earlier then that, it most likely will just cause digestive issues.  You can start pureed veggies and fruits as early as 6 months if baby is showing signs of readiness.

ahleesha14
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM

not cerealy but rice cereal. At 6 months they can have rice cereal. That is what i was told at 6 months they were allowed to have rice cereal. Then I would start pureed veggies and fruits

JadeTigr7
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:33 PM

We don't do cereals before a year.  

Give real food, but not until 6 months at LEAST. 

ahleesha14
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM

ok well then I guess i was wrong about all of this.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM

No solids for at least 6 months and no cereal...we waited till 8 months and went straight to soft table foods. 

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:20 PM

rice is a grain...humans dont develope the enzyme to digest it properly till almost a year of age which is why babies become constipated when started on any type of cereal...its best to start with soft foods like bananas, advocados, etc...

Quoting ahleesha14:

not cerealy but rice cereal. At 6 months they can have rice cereal. That is what i was told at 6 months they were allowed to have rice cereal. Then I would start pureed veggies and fruits

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:24 PM
I'd skip cereal and offer whole foods starting at six month. I wouldn't push it, though. Mine wasn't interested until about eight months. And even then, she nursed way more than she ate solids. Good starter foods are avocado, banana, etc.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM
I don't give cereal or baby food. We also wait until six months and for them to be able to sit up and feed themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ahleesha14
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:08 PM

ok thanks for the advice. I will wait until we go to the dr for her appointment. That way the dr can tell us what she wants to do if anything at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)