Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

'Reduce, Reuse, and Repurpose' Challenge Day 6 - Unusual Planter Ideas - BONUS DAY - WIN a CafeMom Tote Bag

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:13 AM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this

Happy Earth Day!

happy earthday

Today's challenge is creating planters from unusual ideas. 

Here are some creative ways to create planters to use this spring/summer: 

Chandelier planter (pictured above): Reuse an old chandelier by removing the electric parts from it. Using a strong industrial strength glue, glue clay pots onto the area where the lights used to be. Spray paint the whole planter the color of your choice. Add dirt and flowers or herbs of choice. Hang on your porch, in your kitchen or sun room and enjoy!

Popcorn tins or cans: Clean tin or can thoroughly. Spray paint the tin or can in color of your choice. Add dirt and flowers and enjoy! You could do several of these in different sizes to create a nice focal point. 

Shoe holder: Using an over the door shoe holder as a planter is a great way to grow lettuce, herbs and flowers without taking up a lot of space. Simply add dirt and the plants of your choice to each pocket. You could also use this as a way to start your seeds, too. 

Old boots and shoes: Old boots and shoes are great ways to reuse something that otherwise would go to the landfill. Simply add dirt to the boot or shoe and the flowers of your choice and enjoy. 

Have you created unique and unusual planters from old items?

One member who replies to this post will WIN a CafeMom Tote Bag!

Sign up for the Reduce, Reuse and Repurpose Challenge for a chance to WIN a $25 Gift Card and other prizes: Join the 'Reduce, Reuse and Repurpose Challenge!' WIN a $25 Gift Card and Other Prizes.
If you missed yesterday's you can find it here:
'Reduce, Reuse, and Repurpose' Challenge Day 5 - Picture Frames 

The Giveaway Rules:

The Reduce. Reuse and Repurpose Challenge Giveaway starts 4/22/2014 at 11:00 am (ET) and ends 4/30/2014 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a CafeMom Tote Bag. 
The random drawing shall occur on or about 5/15/14. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
Cafe Robin
by on May. 15, 2014 at 6:00 PM

congratulations      ...and the WINNER is.....      

spitfire06

You have won a CafeMom tote bag!

AtiFreeFalls
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Our former tenants left a huge boat in our yard.  I had the darndest time finding someone who wanted it and could take it.  If I hadn't found anyone I probably would have planted flowers in it lol.

I've also used old drawers and garbage cans to grow peas.   

littlemoments99
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I love the popcorn tin idea. I usually get at least one of those over the Christmas season and never know what to do with them. 

ablackdolphin
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Love that lamp idea, very cool.

ablackdolphin
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I have not in the past but will keep it in mind for the future.  I have several pots that get used every year.

Oicuraqt
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I would love to use jars or other small containers that you can use plumbing clamps to secure to a board and hang on a wall. Like this!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:12 PM

That lamp is really cute and I love the blue color.

Terpsichore
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Ugh, I kill plants. We live in a condo and there's a bucket in the backyard I use for gardening. It's very small, but that's okay because it's all I can handle atm.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Oh yeah that's cute to!

Quoting Oicuraqt:

I would love to use jars or other small containers that you can use plumbing clamps to secure to a board and hang on a wall. Like this!

othermom
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:19 PM

We use old planters for plants, also have a chunk of drift wood we use in tour garden for plants too

othermom
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Cute idea

Quoting Sarah725:

Oh yeah that's cute to!

Quoting Oicuraqt:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN