Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Home birth with Group B Strep??

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:17 PM
  • 28 Replies
I tested positive for GBS my previous pregnancy and my midwife said I am a lot more likely to test positive this pregnancy. I am planning a home birth but I'm worried to do a home birth if i test positive for GBS. is it as dangerous as OBs make it sound?
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StaciF
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:22 PM
No you just get your antibiotics and your fine
amiesue1
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:26 PM
But don't you have the iv penicillin a ya certain time before birth

Quoting StaciF: No you just get your antibiotics and your fine
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
My midwife and I are working on getting me a negative reading this time around. I'm eating a lot of fermented foods and taking a probiotic that supports healthy vaginal flora. I take the test in two weeks so I'll know if it worked or not. If not there is something called hibaclense that you can use when you are in labor. Its basically a douche that kills all the bacteria without having to take antibiotics. Its used in other countries instead of antibiotics.
StaciF
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Yeah you have to have it every so many hours - my SIL was gbs+ and she went in and had a dose when labor started and then when home and labored. Talk to your midwife and see how they handle it

Quoting amiesue1: But don't you have the iv penicillin a ya certain time before birth

StaciF
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Yeah we do hibaclense scrubs at the hospital before surgeries and stuff - just an antibacterial wash you can use :)

Quoting FrumpyMama: My midwife and I are working on getting me a negative reading this time around. I'm eating a lot of fermented foods and taking a probiotic that supports healthy vaginal flora. I take the test in two weeks so I'll know if it worked or not. If not there is something called hibaclense that you can use when you are in labor. Its basically a douche that kills all the bacteria without having to take antibiotics. Its used in other countries instead of antibiotics.
amiesue1
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:32 PM
What is the probiotic you're taking? I'm taking acidophilus and what foods are you eating? Like sauerkraut? Sorry I am really worried about this. I had an AWFUL hospital experience during the delivery of my third son.

Quoting FrumpyMama: My midwife and I are working on getting me a negative reading this time around. I'm eating a lot of fermented foods and taking a probiotic that supports healthy vaginal flora. I take the test in two weeks so I'll know if it worked or not. If not there is something called hibaclense that you can use when you are in labor. Its basically a douche that kills all the bacteria without having to take antibiotics. Its used in other countries instead of antibiotics.
amiesue1
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I will talk to her. I did at my first appointment but I don't really remember what she said because it was like one of 100 worries I had. Thank you!

Quoting StaciF: Yeah you have to have it every so many hours - my SIL was gbs+ and she went in and had a dose when labor started and then when home and labored. Talk to your midwife and see how they handle it

Quoting amiesue1: But don't you have the iv penicillin a ya certain time before birth

GoldenLinds
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this
It can still be done. If you come back positive you'll need to ask for a script for iv antibiotics. Ig you know anyone who is a nurse they can administer it at home during your labor and they will have to check on it every 4 hours. But.... some women still turn down the antibiotics. A lot of factors come into play. If you go through labor without your water broken you should be fine. If it breaks right at the end that greatly minimizes your risk. If your labor begins with your water breaking early then you'll need to be monitored more closely and you will need to make sure it progresses adequately. And to answe your question-yes- it is as serious as they say if it is transferred to the baby. Group b strep babies are some of the sickest babies you will ever see. But being informed and knowing your risks and protocols can greatly minimize your risks. Your midwife should be plenty informed on this situation and be able to guide you in your decisions.
amiesue1
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM
I've been reading about hibaclense rinses now and so far what I read is that it's just as effective (affective?) as the iv antibiotics. But I will have my boyfriends mom who is an rn at my birth and she works for a doc who I can talk to about prescribing it if need be thank you

Quoting GoldenLinds: It can still be done. If you come back positive you'll need to ask for a script for iv antibiotics. Ig you know anyone who is a nurse they can administer it at home during your labor and they will have to check on it every 4 hours. But.... some women still turn down the antibiotics. A lot of factors come into play. If you go through labor without your water broken you should be fine. If it breaks right at the end that greatly minimizes your risk. If your labor begins with your water breaking early then you'll need to be monitored more closely and you will need to make sure it progresses adequately. And to answe your question-yes- it is as serious as they say if it is transferred to the baby. Group b strep babies are some of the sickest babies you will ever see. But being informed and knowing your risks and protocols can greatly minimize your risks. Your midwife should be plenty informed on this situation and be able to guide you in your decisions.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

YES my CNM does hibicleanse if needed, I was GBS+ 4 times but not with my homebirth! Antibiotics exposure for infants ruins the good bacteria baby can get from you..try to avoid them

Quoting amiesue1: I've been reading about hibaclense rinses now and so far what I read is that it's just as effective (affective?) as the iv antibiotics. But I will have my boyfriends mom who is an rn at my birth and she works for a doc who I can talk to about prescribing it if need be thank you
Quoting GoldenLinds: It can still be done. If you come back positive you'll need to ask for a script for iv antibiotics. Ig you know anyone who is a nurse they can administer it at home during your labor and they will have to check on it every 4 hours. But.... some women still turn down the antibiotics. A lot of factors come into play. If you go through labor without your water broken you should be fine. If it breaks right at the end that greatly minimizes your risk. If your labor begins with your water breaking early then you'll need to be monitored more closely and you will need to make sure it progresses adequately. And to answe your question-yes- it is as serious as they say if it is transferred to the baby. Group b strep babies are some of the sickest babies you will ever see. But being informed and knowing your risks and protocols can greatly minimize your risks. Your midwife should be plenty informed on this situation and be able to guide you in your decisions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN