Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

About to Birth Naturally! :)

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 9:07 PM
  • 5 Replies
We are due March 5th and I cannot wait.  We are planning to birth naturally in NY with a doula and a midwife in a hospital setting.  There is a birthing bar above the bed in the hospital that we will hopefully make use of.  There is a labor tub, dim lighting and soft music for relaxation that I will also take advantage of.  I've read 2 of Ina May Gaskin's books and one of Henci Goer's and I am feeling strong, capable and empowered.  Any strength and wisdom you could give me to encourage and support my birth would be awesome!  Thanks for reading.  Lauren
by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
peanut06
by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 9:20 PM
You go, girl!  Inner strength and lots of outer support will prove that drugs aren't necessary!

Clara

I love being Mommy to sweet ~Savannah~

mbmomof3
by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 9:22 PM

what first comes to mind is to trust your instincts and trust yourself.  You sound very prepared and that is a big part of this.  You can do it!  I was nervous and looking back I know I didn't need to be, I just needed to trust.  My body gave me cues on what I needed to do -- like what positions to labor and push in and I just followed that and it all worked out perfectly!  Good for you for getting a doula too!  They are great!

doulala
by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 9:36 PM
Congratulations, it sounds really great! Always keep in mind that women's bodies are made to build and deliver babies. And then feed them. Have faith in your body, trust in nature! Billions of babies have been born on this Earth, only the most recent have had drugs for birth and routine interventions. Babies are made to be born-- mamas are made to birth them. When you appreciate what is going on and why, you can give permission for the intensity to do it's work. Say "yeeeeeessss!" and "ooooopenn" during your contractions and say it LOUD! :-) Enjoy this experience, it is beautiful!!!
MommyEmmy79
by on Jan. 5, 2008 at 10:38 PM
I am so happy to hear your choice! You won't regret it. One thing that helped me the most was writing out a birth plan, and memorizing it, and giving it to the nurse/doc/midwife/doula on staff. They and your husband will be your advocate. Where I was, they suggested an epidural every few hours, and I was so angry! But all I could do was concentrate on breathing, so my DH (God love him) stuck up for me and flat out said "Do NOT offer any more drugs". Hehe... Having him as a birth partner was awesome, I can't wait for another birth experience!!! :)

ReekaJean
by on Jan. 7, 2008 at 10:25 AM
March 5th is my birthday! lol.

I just wanted to congratulate you... I don't really have a lot of advice to offer since my first baby won't be here until the end of May, but we, too, are planning a natural childbirth... though we might go with a homebirth, we're not sure yet.

It's definitely empowering and exciting when you make the decision to go natural, I think... it makes me feel more like a woman than I ever have before, I think... It's almost a natural high all in itself. <3
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN