Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Do you give meds for fever

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM
  • 40 Replies
My 8 1/2 month old has a fever. Last check it was 101.6. I've been able to keep her comfortable by holding and nursing her. My mom freaked out and said I need to give her Motrin to get her temp down. Is this true? I planned to medicate her only if I couldn't keep her comfy anymore. How high would a fever have to be before you medicated? Tia!
by on May. 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoldenLinds
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Thats a fine temp for an infant. I medicate at 102 in my toddler because I now know he gets massive headaches with his fevers. In a baby I medicate at 104. You have to keep in mind a baby's temp is usually going to be a little higher than normal if your keeping them close to you for long periods because of your body heat. So if they are feverish even more so. If baby is comforted well then let it play its course. Fevers have a job. Ket them do it unless it gets bad.
Amycapl
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Thank you. That's how I feel too

Quoting GoldenLinds: Thats a fine temp for an infant. I medicate at 102 in my toddler because I now know he gets massive headaches with his fevers. In a baby I medicate at 104. You have to keep in mind a baby's temp is usually going to be a little higher than normal if your keeping them close to you for long periods because of your body heat. So if they are feverish even more so. If baby is comforted well then let it play its course. Fevers have a job. Ket them do it unless it gets bad.
JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Before 3 months I medicate at 100 (although none of my kids had that) from 3-6 I'd medicate at 101 (again, never happend.  From 6-12 months I'd medicate at 102.  From then on I would not medicate until close to 104.

Now, that's if I can also keep them comfortable.  If they seem in too much pain I will give them the pain reliever to help with pain, not necessarily the fever. 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I do not medicate a fever unless babe is totally miserable. Unfortunately, The Little is solid as a rock, the only thing that can phase her is a fever which brings out a beast. So I do medicate her. But Biggie can handle it, so if a fever is high enough for her, I get concerned enough to call her dr before giving her meds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on May. 5, 2014 at 3:25 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't medicate fevers routinely just to keep a number on a thermometer down. It's counterproductive. It's so silly how people fear a temperature! That's how the body fights of the virus/bacteria that actually causing the illness, it's nothing to fear or drive away.
I WILL medicate to bring relief to an overly miserable child, especially at bedtime so they can rest well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Same here.

And my Mom is the same way. :/

Quoting larissalarie: I don't medicate fevers routinely just to keep a number on a thermometer down. It's counterproductive. It's so silly how people fear a temperature! That's how the body fights of the virus/bacteria that actually causing the illness, it's nothing to fear or drive away.
I WILL medicate to bring relief to an overly miserable child, especially at bedtime so they can rest well.
Amycapl
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM
Ugh... Makes me wonder how doped up my childhood actually was lol

Quoting MaryJarrett: Same here.

And my Mom is the same way. :/

Quoting larissalarie: I don't medicate fevers routinely just to keep a number on a thermometer down. It's counterproductive. It's so silly how people fear a temperature! That's how the body fights of the virus/bacteria that actually causing the illness, it's nothing to fear or drive away.
Amycapl
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Her temp has gone up to 102 but I'm still feeling comfortable with nursing. Thanks for the advice!

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Before 3 months I medicate at 100 (although none of my kids had that) from 3-6 I'd medicate at 101 (again, never happend.  From 6-12 months I'd medicate at 102.  From then on I would not medicate until close to 104.Now, that's if I can also keep them comfortable.  If they seem in too much pain I will give them the pain reliever to help with pain, not necessarily the fever. 

Amycapl
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Luckily she still seems comfortable so I'm gonna hold off. Thanks!

Quoting jellyphish: I do not medicate a fever unless babe is totally miserable. Unfortunately, The Little is solid as a rock, the only thing that can phase her is a fever which brings out a beast. So I do medicate her. But Biggie can handle it, so if a fever is high enough for her, I get concerned enough to call her dr before giving her meds.
Amycapl
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 4:31 PM
What about high fevers? Like 104/105. Would medicating that temp help keep febrile seizures away?

Yeah, if she's still feverish at bedtime I'll probably give her some to help her sleep

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN