Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nap time ugh

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:23 PM
  • 21 Replies
Hello my sons are 2 1/2 and 8 months. My toddler naps in his own bed for 1-2 hours. But the baby will one only nap for cat naps (30 min) and two hates every way I try to get him to nap. He used to nurse to sleep but now he won't. I used to rock him to sleep but now he screams and arches his back. I want to put him in his crib for naps but he just stands and screams. Even when I sing and rub his back. I know yor suppose to put them at nap time wherever they sleep at night. We cosleep. And it's the same struggle at night to get him to sleep.

I had the same issues with my first son. He coslept and finally just started sleeping in his own bed next to our bed. With two kids it's exhausting and takes to much time from my toddler to rock in a rocking chair like 5 times a day to give the baby the day sleep he needs.

I'm so tired.

Any ideas? Oh I've even tried rockin him in his carseat doesn't work :( please help I'm gonna go crazy
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Terpsichore
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Run a vaccuum cleaner?

Why is he arching his back? Do you have oversupply? Does he have lip/tongue tie? Reflux? Food allergies?

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:27 PM

He could just be less tired?  My kids were down to a little nap each day pretty early. My ds was only a cat napper and if he didn't feel like napping, we would wait. He usually fell asleep nursing whenever he wanted. I also held him for every nap except very few and he is 18 mos. 

jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Have you tried just wearing him? My kids went through this too. I just had to wear them on my back to take a nap.

jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Yeah by 8 months my kids went down to about 2 naps per day if I'm remembering correctly

Quoting ceckyl:

He could just be less tired?  My kids were down to a little nap each day pretty early. My ds was only a cat napper and if he didn't feel like napping, we would wait. He usually fell asleep nursing whenever he wanted. I also held him for every nap except very few and he is 18 mos. 

schultzal
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:43 AM

I agree that maybe he just doesn't need 5 naps. My daughter was only having 2 naps/day by 8 months. And I pretty much always wore her for naps, if I wanted to get anything done.

polkaspots
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:48 AM
My five month old takes a few ten minute cat naps and two decent naps throughout the day. It seems like you're trying to get him to fall asleep when he's not tired. Take a few days and stop trying to get him to sleep during the day. Just let him fall asleep when he falls asleep on his own. Then you can change your schedule so that it continues what he did on his own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyaunatural
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM
He's arching his back so he doesn't have to go to sleep . No food allergies. No lip/tongue. Yeah he doesn't care about vacuum Cleaner. He prefers me singing.

Quoting Terpsichore:

Run a vaccuum cleaner?

Why is he arching his back? Do you have oversupply? Does he have lip/tongue tie? Reflux? Food allergies?

Mommyaunatural
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM
It's difficult to hold a second child for every nap when you have a toddler, because a toddler still needs help with everything

Quoting ceckyl:

Mommyaunatural
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Yes I wear him. My back has just been hurting lately but I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Quoting jconney80:

Have you tried just wearing him? My kids went through this too. I just had to wear them on my back to take a nap.

Analugojana
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM
At 8 months I'm pretty sure he doesn't need 5 naps a day. Mine was down to 2 at that age and then switched to 1 around 12 months. Maybe that way he's going to want to sleep because he's tired. I hated the 5 nap a day stage too. I felt like I was putting her down to nap all day long.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)