Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Has anyone used Black and Blue cohosh tincture?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:39 PM
  • 30 Replies
Im hoping some of you ladies have some experience with using Black and Blue cohosh tincture to "induce" labor. Its not really inducing per say, its more to get/keep things moving once they've started. I've heard its very strong and effective. Im currently taking evening primrose oil supplements to ripen my cervix. I've had labor start twice with very strong contractions 2-3minutes apart but after a day they fade off. I heard the tincture are good for curbing false labor and promoting real labor when your cervix is ready.
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColieO
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM
I tried it during a round of contractions. Didn't do anything that I could see. After 8 hours they just stopped. It was also disgusting.
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM
It sounds like prodromal labor. Is your baby in the right position? What's your EDD? What else have you done to help?

I recommend doing more research on EPO, and I recommend against the tincture unless you are very post dates, 42+ weeks.
louzannalady
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM
I strongly recommend reading this link on prodromonal labor from spinning babies and doing bthe balancing exercises. There is incredibly little risk to the exercises, which we cannot say for EPO or Cohosh. Even IF you got labor started with baby malpositioned, you would have a longer and harder labor. Get your body and baby situated and it will be a much better experience.

www.spinningbabies.com/more-info/in-labor/362-starter-broken-when-early-labor-lingers-or-starts-and-stops
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Here is info about EPO.

www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17945671/Evening_Primrose_Oil
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maranda1389
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM
I am 38 weeks exactly and I am 1 1/2 cm dilated and 60% effaced. Baby is definitely head down and VERY low. I have a bicornate uterus so she lays to the side a bit funny but she's in a good position.

I have researched EPO quite a bit. I understand it doesn't kick start labor whatsoever, I started taking it because with my constant contractions, I thought it'd help ready my cervix.

Im also drinking RRL tea, walking and squatting, tried pineapple, tried nipple stimulation... I know sex is key but my fiance is adamant about not having sex this far along :(

Quoting MaryJarrett: It sounds like prodromal labor. Is your baby in the right position? What's your EDD? What else have you done to help?

I recommend doing more research on EPO, and I recommend against the tincture unless you are very post dates, 42+ weeks.
maranda1389
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM
How did you take it? Just once a day or every hour?

Quoting ColieO: I tried it during a round of contractions. Didn't do anything that I could see. After 8 hours they just stopped. It was also disgusting.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
The cohoshes are not safe to induce labor. If you talk to a qualified herbalist or consult an herbalist book you'll learn that. MWs/drs are not necessarily educated in herbalism. Please look into it before you use them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this
...especially if you're only 38 weeks.
Try acupuncture and/or massage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maranda1389
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Is someone able to make this link clicky? Im only mobile and I'd really like to read it.

Quoting louzannalady: I strongly recommend reading this link on prodromonal labor from spinning babies and doing bthe balancing exercises. There is incredibly little risk to the exercises, which we cannot say for EPO or Cohosh. Even IF you got labor started with baby malpositioned, you would have a longer and harder labor. Get your body and baby situated and it will be a much better experience.

www.spinningbabies.com/more-info/in-labor/362-starter-broken-when-early-labor-lingers-or-starts-and-stops
melindabelcher
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
At 38weeks baby could need to bake for upwards of 4 weeks still!
Id do nothing to encourage labor. Your body is preparing for labor. Dialating and thinning now will be less to do in labor.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN