Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Question for non-circing moms

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son is a little over 2 (was 2 in Feb). He is not circumcised. Today I've been noticing his penis (shaft part) is bulgind out (sort of like a balloon) in the middle. It doesn't seem to bother him except when he is having an erection he fusses like maybe it hurts?

I was wondering from moms of uncirced boys, have you experienced this? It it normal, like a growing thing? Or is it a sign of infection? Should I take him to the DR? I have not seen tis before, but I don't want to take him in for something perfectly normal.

Any ideas/advice?

UPDATE: I think we figured out it is an infection called balanopostitis (DH found a pic that looks just like what DS has) Looks like it requires prescription anti-fungal cream, medication or antibiotics. :-/ So I'll be calling the Dr in the morning and hopefully getting an appointment tomorrow.

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:21 PM
If it's in the middle it may not have anything to do with the foreskin. Does it look like a bite maybe? Or have signs of infection other than swelling (pain to the touch, heat?)

If it's not better tomorrow I would call the Dr.
jedigal
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:38 PM

No, not like a bite. The whole thing kind of balloons out a bit--like a vase shape maybe? It doesn't seem to bother him except when it gets hard. DH thinks maybe the "head" is just stuck behind the foreskin or something and can't get out b/c the forskin isn't stretched enough yet. DH is circ'ed, so he doesn't really know for sure.

Quoting RheaF: If it's in the middle it may not have anything to do with the foreskin. Does it look like a bite maybe? Or have signs of infection other than swelling (pain to the touch, heat?) If it's not better tomorrow I would call the Dr.

RheaF
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I'm not sure, sorry. DS is not circ'd and we have never seen that in him. He is 5 now, and it has started to retract a little. His only complaint is that he hates when it "gets big" cause it hurts him. So I started putting him in looser underware at night, so it's not as restricting in the morning.

I hope it is nothing serious, and I am sure some of the moms here can help! They are great!

Quoting jedigal:

No, not like a bite. The whole thing kind of balloons out a bit--like a vase shape maybe? It doesn't seem to bother him except when it gets hard. DH thinks maybe the "head" is just stuck behind the foreskin or something and can't get out b/c the forskin isn't stretched enough yet. DH is circ'ed, so he doesn't really know for sure.

Quoting RheaF: If it's in the middle it may not have anything to do with the foreskin. Does it look like a bite maybe? Or have signs of infection other than swelling (pain to the touch, heat?) If it's not better tomorrow I would call the Dr.

micheledo
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM

It sounds like it could just be the head and then the foreskin below that?

Just from what you say, I wouldn't be concerned.  If it isn't red, hot, or causing him pain, I would just leave it alone.  

jedigal
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I hope not either. It's not changing color or anything, and evidently there is still blood flow b/c it is getting hard--but this is the first time I have noticed it shaped like this. And like I said, that is the only time it seems to bother him, like you said it bothers your son.

Quoting RheaF:

I'm not sure, sorry. DS is not circ'd and we have never seen that in him. He is 5 now, and it has started to retract a little. His only complaint is that he hates when it "gets big" cause it hurts him. So I started putting him in looser underware at night, so it's not as restricting in the morning.

I hope it is nothing serious, and I am sure some of the moms here can help! They are great!

Quoting jedigal:

jedigal
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:53 PM

That's what DH was thinking. I was just wondering if this was normal with toddler boys.

Quoting micheledo:

It sounds like it could just be the head and then the foreskin below that?

Just from what you say, I wouldn't be concerned.  If it isn't red, hot, or causing him pain, I would just leave it alone.  

christina122952
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Take him to the doctor
JMmama
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:07 PM
DS had that infection and he is two. His penis was very red and swollen and it was very, very painful. It also came on very quickly. I did read somewhere that some ballooning is normal as the foreskin begins to be retractable. If you are concerned call the dr but if it was infected you would know.
jedigal
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:15 AM

We did go to the dr yesterday. She prescribed some antibiotics, but even by the time we took him to the dr, it looked better. We had been giving him warm baths with a bit of salt. So it seems to be helping without the antibiotics. He hasn't been fussing since then. It seems the worst of it was Thursday night.

Quoting JMmama: DS had that infection and he is two. His penis was very red and swollen and it was very, very painful. It also came on very quickly. I did read somewhere that some ballooning is normal as the foreskin begins to be retractable. If you are concerned call the dr but if it was infected you would know.

allrighty2
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I think what you described is referred to as "ballooning" and happens when some of the foreskin become un-fused. If I remember correctly it is nothing to worry about, but to be sure, I recommend you visit "The Whole Network" Facebook page. Lots of friendly people over there and lots of mothers with both intact and circed sons. They often get questions like this posted on their site and they get immediate responses.

https://www.facebook.com/WholeNetwork

Be skeptical of American doctors, they often recommend circumcision, when there are really much simpler ways to treat the problem. Most doctors in the USA are cut themselves and receive no training in intact penis care. Circumcising is quick and easy money for them. And if you take your son to a doctor, be sure the nurse and doctor know NOT TO RETRACT your son's foreskin. Some info about ballooning of intact penis:

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/info/physiciansguide.html

http://www.drmomma.org/2011/06/ballooning-in-intact-child.html

http://www.thewholenetwork.org/twn-news/my-doctor-says-my-son-needs-to-be-circumcised

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN