Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Cloth diapering

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:07 AM
  • 13 Replies
I am planning on cloth diapering this baby. I need suggestions though. All the different types and brands. Im so confused! Dh says that if we cloth diaper, he wont change them. I came across the charlie banana brand of 2 in 1. Dh said he would be ok trying them because they are still disposible. Has anyone tried this brand? I want to see what opinions are before spending a significant amt of money on them.
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:23 AM
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

I haven't tried charlie banana myself.

I use mostly pockets but I have a bit of everything(prefolds, fitteds, AIO, AI2, flats). Most one size diapers won't fit until around 10-12lbs.
Modern cloth diapers are not what he's picturing, most are just as east as disposable. My DH was wary of them at first, now he hates disposables so much so that when we took a week long vacation, he refused even me mentioning sposies as an option. Lol!

I added a couple pictures that help with explaining each kind.

Do you have a type in mind?
Do you have any specific questions?
momager2two
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:31 AM
I kind of understand the differences. I think the aio will be the easiest. I also have to consider that i have lupus and if i flare i cant even get out of bed. Dh needs to be willing to use whatever we have. So i am trying to accomodate my desire to cloth and something easy for him as well. He wont use something that is a 2 step setup. I guess im really just looking for a recommendation on a brand for the aio. With the aio from what i saw i will need the covers, liners and a wetbag. I can get both the disposable or reusable liners. Anything else i would need?

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

I use mostly pockets but I have a bit of everything(prefolds, fitteds, AIO, AI2, flats). Most one size diapers won't fit until around 10-12lbs.
Modern cloth diapers are not what he's picturing, most are just as east as disposable. My DH was wary of them at first, now he hates disposables so much so that when we took a week long vacation, he refused even me mentioning sposies as an option. Lol!

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:23 PM
That's more of an ai2/hybrid system. G diapers, grovia, mabu baby, flips, and cocalo are like that too. An aio is all one piece. There's no inserts and covers. A good aio are bum genius. I only have a few hybrid diapers (g diaper). With a hybrid system you would pull the soiled insert out, put a new on in, and put it on the bum. With an AIO system you would remove the whole diaper and put a whole new on one. With pockets, the same, take the whole thing off, put a whole new one on. If he doesn't want to mess with the soiled part of diaper at all, AIO or pockets would be your best bet for him.
In have a mixed stash to help with this. I have about 5-6 AIOs for outings and daddy.

Quoting momager2two: I kind of understand the differences. I think the aio will be the easiest. I also have to consider that i have lupus and if i flare i cant even get out of bed. Dh needs to be willing to use whatever we have. So i am trying to accomodate my desire to cloth and something easy for him as well. He wont use something that is a 2 step setup. I guess im really just looking for a recommendation on a brand for the aio. With the aio from what i saw i will need the covers, liners and a wetbag. I can get both the disposable or reusable liners. Anything else i would need?

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

momager2two
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Thanks! I guess i will just keep looking. I was on the charlie banana site and it stated they were aio. I will probably end up with a mix anyways!

Quoting MaryJarrett: That's more of an ai2/hybrid system. G diapers, grovia, mabu baby, flips, and cocalo are like that too. An aio is all one piece. There's no inserts and covers. A good aio are bum genius. I only have a few hybrid diapers (g diaper). With a hybrid system you would pull the soiled insert out, put a new on in, and put it on the bum. With an AIO system you would remove the whole diaper and put a whole new on one. With pockets, the same, take the whole thing off, put a whole new one on. If he doesn't want to mess with the soiled part of diaper at all, AIO or pockets would be your best bet for him.
In have a mixed stash to help with this. I have about 5-6 AIOs for outings and daddy.

Quoting momager2two: I kind of understand the differences. I think the aio will be the easiest. I also have to consider that i have lupus and if i flare i cant even get out of bed. Dh needs to be willing to use whatever we have. So i am trying to accomodate my desire to cloth and something easy for him as well. He wont use something that is a 2 step setup. I guess im really just looking for a recommendation on a brand for the aio. With the aio from what i saw i will need the covers, liners and a wetbag. I can get both the disposable or reusable liners. Anything else i would need?

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Like I said, I have 0 experience with CB. Are you in Cuties With Cloth Booties? There are some moms in there with experience with CB.
I notice that lot of pocket diapers have adopted the term AIO too. It cab get confusing.

Quoting momager2two: Thanks! I guess i will just keep looking. I was on the charlie banana site and it stated they were aio. I will probably end up with a mix anyways!

Quoting MaryJarrett: That's more of an ai2/hybrid system. G diapers, grovia, mabu baby, flips, and cocalo are like that too. An aio is all one piece. There's no inserts and covers. A good aio are bum genius. I only have a few hybrid diapers (g diaper). With a hybrid system you would pull the soiled insert out, put a new on in, and put it on the bum. With an AIO system you would remove the whole diaper and put a whole new on one. With pockets, the same, take the whole thing off, put a whole new one on. If he doesn't want to mess with the soiled part of diaper at all, AIO or pockets would be your best bet for him.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

momager2two
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM
No im not in that group, but i will look for it now! Im really trying to understand the difference between each but it seems that each brand, even if its the same type of diaper, is different. I came across cb on targets website, then went to cb's site. I have heard of gdiaper, but thought those were disposable insert only.

Quoting MaryJarrett: Like I said, I have 0 experience with CB. Are you in Cuties With Cloth Booties? There are some moms in there with experience with CB.
I notice that lot of pocket diapers have adopted the term AIO too. It cab get confusing.

Quoting momager2two: Thanks! I guess i will just keep looking. I was on the charlie banana site and it stated they were aio. I will probably end up with a mix anyways!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM
They have both cloth and disposable inserts. I prefer flip inserts in mine, though. Lol

Quoting momager2two: No im not in that group, but i will look for it now! Im really trying to understand the difference between each but it seems that each brand, even if its the same type of diaper, is different. I came across cb on targets website, then went to cb's site. I have heard of gdiaper, but thought those were disposable insert only.

Quoting MaryJarrett: Like I said, I have 0 experience with CB. Are you in Cuties With Cloth Booties? There are some moms in there with experience with CB.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

tairakittie
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:27 PM
I personally dont like AIOs, they take forever to dry. Pockets are a good alternative to that, you just put the insert in the pocket and take it out to wash, you have to change and wash both, but its seperate so they dry faster. AI2s are also a good option like the above stated. This time around though I am doing prefolds and covers for the early months, and those plus pockets and AI2s for 6 months and older. With the prefolds and covers, you only need to change out the prefold and can use the cover over and over, just wipe the pee off with a wipe, but change the cover if poop gets on it. You can either put the prefold on like a diaper with a snappie or you can just fold it into thirds and lay it on the cover, simple. :) Good luck in your cloth diaper adventure!!
momager2two
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Thanks! After looking at different ones, I think im going to try charlie banana and bum genius to start with.

Quoting tairakittie: I personally dont like AIOs, they take forever to dry. Pockets are a good alternative to that, you just put the insert in the pocket and take it out to wash, you have to change and wash both, but its seperate so they dry faster. AI2s are also a good option like the above stated. This time around though I am doing prefolds and covers for the early months, and those plus pockets and AI2s for 6 months and older. With the prefolds and covers, you only need to change out the prefold and can use the cover over and over, just wipe the pee off with a wipe, but change the cover if poop gets on it. You can either put the prefold on like a diaper with a snappie or you can just fold it into thirds and lay it on the cover, simple. :) Good luck in your cloth diaper adventure!!
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Mobile Photo

I would check out the Cuties With Cloth Booties FAQ sticky. It should answer a lot of your questions. Good luck! Also check out this book :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)