Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Anyone have a home birth

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 5:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

Within 12-14 months after your first home birth? If so how did you prepare yourself mentally for another home birth so soon after your first? 

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexisfaith
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I'm planning my first homebirth so I'll be following this post :-)

themissheather
by Heather on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I'm planning my second home birth currently, but they won't be that close together. My oldest will be almost 2.5yrs when I give birth again. 

I'm not one of those women who enjoys pregnancy, so mentally I'd say I'm pretty prepared. I enjoyed the labor and birth process much more than the pregnancy part first time around, so I'm looking forward to that again. I know what to expect this time around and I'm approaching it with a more "get it done" attitude.

MamaBearEH
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 1:22 PM
What do you think is different that you feel unprepared the second time around?
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I'm not ready to go through it again so soon. We were planning on having more kids, but I was going to wait a couple of years. It would have given me a chance to build up strength that I didn't have the first time around. With my last pregnancy I wasn't able to move around until my 7th month or so. I'm just not ready to do this again so soon.  

Quoting MamaBearEH: What do you think is different that you feel unprepared the second time around?

hillmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM
I have had 2,and planning my 3rd. However, they weren't that close together. If I was expecting again that soon, I would prepare the same way.
MamaBearEH
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:20 PM

OK, so it kind of sounds like maybe there was some mental/emotional trauma during your experience.  Or is that an incorrect assumption?  If there was some kind of trauma, have you dealt with that?

I don't mean to pry, so please don't feel obligated to answer or share if you're not comfortable!  I'm just reading this thinking to myself why would you need to prepare & why would it be any different than the first time.  My mind says something happened.  I've only used a birthing center, as we're so far out from emergency facilities, but there are some similarities with a home birth experience.  For me it was incredibly positive, and though I wanted to wait longer for another birth (other reasons) if I was fortunate enough to have another out of hospital birth... I would simply be ecstatic.  It would be a huge relief for me.  I would feel safe & secure.  I would be excited too.  My "baby" will be just under a year and a half when our next one comes along here.

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I'm not ready to go through it again so soon. We were planning on having more kids, but I was going to wait a couple of years. It would have given me a chance to build up strength that I didn't have the first time around. With my last pregnancy I wasn't able to move around until my 7th month or so. I'm just not ready to do this again so soon.  

Quoting MamaBearEH: What do you think is different that you feel unprepared the second time around?

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM

I never really thought of it like that, but yes I guess it was more tramatic than it needed to be. I'm using a different midwife this time around for many reasons. I honestly believe that my last delivery good have gone better had the midwife slowed down and had patience. I don't want to go through that again. I do know that the midwife I'm with now is patient and will take her time on cord clapping, the placenta, and so forth. I just can't seem to shake this fear. 

Quoting MamaBearEH:

OK, so it kind of sounds like maybe there was some mental/emotional trauma during your experience.  Or is that an incorrect assumption?  If there was some kind of trauma, have you dealt with that?

I don't mean to pry, so please don't feel obligated to answer or share if you're not comfortable!  I'm just reading this thinking to myself why would you need to prepare & why would it be any different than the first time.  My mind says something happened.  I've only used a birthing center, as we're so far out from emergency facilities, but there are some similarities with a home birth experience.  For me it was incredibly positive, and though I wanted to wait longer for another birth (other reasons) if I was fortunate enough to have another out of hospital birth... I would simply be ecstatic.  It would be a huge relief for me.  I would feel safe & secure.  I would be excited too.  My "baby" will be just under a year and a half when our next one comes along here.

Quoting somuchlove4U:

MamaBearEH
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Well that's a great step in the right direction for you.  If you haven't already maybe try discussing your previous birth with your new midwife.  It could give her some insight into how she can care for you better.

I know that I always refer back to care I've recieved from doctors, hospitals, and through losing a child.  It's helped me cope with the trauma, and avoid some things that I don't want to have repeat experiences on!

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I never really thought of it like that, but yes I guess it was more tramatic than it needed to be. I'm using a different midwife this time around for many reasons. I honestly believe that my last delivery good have gone better had the midwife slowed down and had patience. I don't want to go through that again. I do know that the midwife I'm with now is patient and will take her time on cord clapping, the placenta, and so forth. I just can't seem to shake this fear. 

Quoting MamaBearEH:

Quoting somuchlove4U:

mcwebtex
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I got pregnant with my second 5 months after my 1st was born at home. We had a midwife with the first but my husband delivered the 2nd.

It was mentally and physically challenging having them 14 months apart. But by the Grace of the Lord we got through it. Hardest part was weight, since i didnt have quite enough time to drop the weight from the first, so the second i felt like a big huge marshmellow. Then i lost all my weight and got pregnant again!!!!! Gained all of my weight back and after all that, we lost the baby!!!! Then i lost alittle and now we are pregnant again!!!! Due in august!!!!

Its not that hard the first few months after the 2nd is born, since baby sleeps. Focus on training the older one to obey and it will be alot easier. Teach her pick up her toys etc and read quietly for short periods of time if you can and most importantly teach her to obey your voice on 1st command. It will be much easier for when new baby starts moving around, trust me!!!!!

If you had your first at home, it will be easier since you have experience and you have most of your supplies i imagine! Dont expect the delivery to be the same as the first. They are allllllll different. I planned for it to be exactly the same and it was by far a whole different story! Not that bad, just different.

I did alot of praying and the Lord poored out alot of Grace to handle the 2 mentally so close together. God says babies are a blessing, and i kept that in mind to encourage me! Always here to chat if you like, just send a message :-)
When are you due???? We are doing our 4th in August. we are about 31 weeks right now

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Thank you for your response! I feel so overwhelmed thinking about dealing with a new born, 14 month old, and a 13 yr old. lol I homeschool my 13 yr old so I'm trying to find a good curriculum that she can pretty much do on her own. I'm due September 10th. Well that's my original due date, by my measurements my due date is August 30. So I'm just planning to deliver sometime in September. lol 

Quoting mcwebtex:

I got pregnant with my second 5 months after my 1st was born at home. We had a midwife with the first but my husband delivered the 2nd.

It was mentally and physically challenging having them 14 months apart. But by the Grace of the Lord we got through it. Hardest part was weight, since i didnt have quite enough time to drop the weight from the first, so the second i felt like a big huge marshmellow. Then i lost all my weight and got pregnant again!!!!! Gained all of my weight back and after all that, we lost the baby!!!! Then i lost alittle and now we are pregnant again!!!! Due in august!!!!

Its not that hard the first few months after the 2nd is born, since baby sleeps. Focus on training the older one to obey and it will be alot easier. Teach her pick up her toys etc and read quietly for short periods of time if you can and most importantly teach her to obey your voice on 1st command. It will be much easier for when new baby starts moving around, trust me!!!!!

If you had your first at home, it will be easier since you have experience and you have most of your supplies i imagine! Dont expect the delivery to be the same as the first. They are allllllll different. I planned for it to be exactly the same and it was by far a whole different story! Not that bad, just different.

I did alot of praying and the Lord poored out alot of Grace to handle the 2 mentally so close together. God says babies are a blessing, and i kept that in mind to encourage me! Always here to chat if you like, just send a message :-) When are you due???? We are doing our 4th in August. we are about 31 weeks right now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)