Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Planning on natural birth

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2008 at 10:05 AM
  • 2 Replies
Hi there, girls... I'm 20 weeks pregnant with our first baby... a little boy... and I'm planning on having a natural childbirth. DH has been really supportive and we just met with/hired a doula yesterday.

There's one midwife here in the area that does home births at either your home or hers (she has a room set up similar to a birth center) and we're going to set up a consultation appointment with her and see if our insurance will cover it, etc if we go that route... if not, we plan on finding a CNM with one of the groups around here and we'll be in a hospital and hope that things go according to plan.

I've been doing some research on birth plans and what to include on them -- I was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions... especially when dealing with a hospital that might very well think you're crazy for wanting to birth with no drugs (you would not believe the number of nurses that I've had who've told me about how many women come in wanting a natural childbirth until the first contractions hit... I actually had one lady tell me that shes NEVER seen a woman go through the entire birth without any pain meds!). It's like everyone is trying to discourage me from doing it and I don't quite understand why... it seems like the most logical choice to me.

With this being our first, I'm a little nervous about the prospect of doing it at home (either at mine or the midwife's), but I'm starting to get the feeling that going that route will be the best way to insure that I won't have to argue with nurses and doctors about how I want the birth to happen...

Any advice? Anecdotes? Help with birth plans?

Thanks in advance!

-Erica
by on Jan. 7, 2008 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MamaJen74
by on Jan. 7, 2008 at 10:29 AM
I have a CNM and will be delivering in the hospital.  Here's my birth plan.  One thing I have heard when making your birth plan is to leave out the nicey nice things like "I would like to" or "I would prefer" and to stick to your guns with I WANT.  I have also heard to try to keep it to one page...but I couldn't manage that.  I tried to streamline it as best possible.  Hope this helps...or gives you some hints anyway.

Mother: Jennifer Father: JJ
Support persons: Sherry (maternal grandmother), Christa (friend), Angela (friend), Melody (friend)

Midwife: Rebecca Otte Supervising OB: Richard Bonebrake

This birth plan is an outline of our wishes for natural childbirth. We understand that birth is NOT a scripted event.

Labor
I want to be free to walk around during labor, change positions and utilize the whirlpool tub. I want to be able to have fluids and foods orally.

Monitoring
I do not want to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of the baby and do not want to have an internal monitor.

Labor Augmentation/Induction
I want to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods (walking, nipple stimulation) if my labor is not progressing.

Anesthesia/Pain Medication
I realize that many pain medications exist. Please do not offer pain medications to me. I plan to utilize Lamaze breathing techniques and massage.

Episiotomy
I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch as well as perineal support. I do not want an episiotomy. In the event of a tear, I would like local anesthesia for the repair.

Delivery
I want to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth. I want my support persons and/or nurses to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
I want to have the baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.

Immediately After Delivery
I do not want the cord clamped until the placenta has stopped pulsating.
I would like Sherry Stanley to cut the cord.
I plan to keep the baby near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of the baby can be done with the baby on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
I would prefer to hold the baby rather than have (him/her) placed under heat lamps.
I want the eye antibiotics to be delayed so that the baby can see during immediate bonding time.

BABY MARR BIRTH PLAN Jennifer/JJ Marr PAGE 2

Cesarean
Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean. If a Cesarean delivery is absolutely necessary, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making
process. I wish to have an epidural for anesthesia. I would like Sherry present at all times. If the baby requires a Cesarean delivery and if the baby is not in distress, the baby should be given to Sherry immediately after birth. I want to breastfeed the baby in the recovery room.

Postpartum
Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from the baby. I would like to have the baby 'room in' and be with me at all times.

Breastfeeding
I will be breastfeeding the baby and want to begin nursing very shortly after birth. I do not want to have any bottles given to the baby (including glucose water or plain water).

Circumcision
I would like the baby to be circumcised before we check out of the hospital by my pediatrician Dr. Reynolds (not the pediatrician on call) with topical anesthesia. I will call Dr. Reynolds to inform him of the child’s birth. This has been discussed previously with Dr. Reynolds.

Photo/Video
I would like to take pictures during labor and delivery.

doulala
by on Jan. 8, 2008 at 7:41 PM
I like what Jen has to say. I would ADD (for more emphasis) at the top: "PLEASE DO NOT OFFER ME ANY MEDICATION. I WILL ASK IF NEED BE."
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)