Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

labor support advice OT (piog)

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:09 AM
  • 1 Replies
So my best friend is a little over 38 weeks pregnant and has asked me to be her labor support person as her boyfriend might not be the best supporter in that situation. (Though I am prepared to step aside if he is who she ends up really wanting/needing to lean on literally and figuratively)

Anyway, I was wondering if you lovely ladies had any advice for me as a support person? Maybe links to how to apply counter pressure? Words of encouragement for mama.

I myself have not been through labor/delivery. I had a csection with Elliott. I wanted a natural water birth, so I've watched a ton of videos. And I was there holding my sister's leg when my nephew was born. I know what to expect and I'm not squeamish.

I want your advice on how to be the best support person I can be. Thanks. :)
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
MamaBearEH
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I would ask her what her birth plan is first, and what she wants you to do.  Maybe she just wants you to hold her hand literally.  Maybe she wants you to be prepared to do a hip press to open the pelvic region.  It's hard to say, because everyone is different!

Only advice I would for everyone give is to avoid pain references.  Don't ask her how bad contractions are.  Don't even use the word contraction.  You'll just emphasize negativity or create it if it's not there in the first place.  I also really like the SpinningBabies.com website.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN