Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Pain meds at the birthing center?

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:58 PM
  • 9 Replies

Someone in my DDG said that she was going to have her babe at a birthing center, with pain meds. Do birthing centers actually offer pain meds? Doesn't this defeat what we birthing center mamas are all about?

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
StaciF
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 2:09 PM

with my first baby i was in labor for almost 3 days - hard labor was over 12 hours.  I hadn't slept in 24 hours and my midwife did give my a shot of a short acting pain medication so I was able to sleep for an hour before I pushed for 3 hours.  A lot of places won't do that - and I never have had anything with any of my other deliveries.  But I've never heard of a birth center that plans to use meds - I didn't go into it expecting to get anything - it was due to specific circumstances that anything was given.

GoldenLinds
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM
That does sound strange. Maybe they can offer some pai meds but obviously not an epidural. I haven't ever actually looked into it so idk for sure. It does sound counterintuitive though.
micheledo
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Our local hospital calls their maternity ward a birthing center. But is is a hospital maternity ward. Just the name birthing center. Nothing natural about it. Maybe she is going somewhere like that where it is attached to a hospital and you can do it anyway you want?
melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 23, 2014 at 3:53 PM
The out of hospital birth centers usually don't. I know the one local to me does not.
StaciF
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 4:06 PM

oh that's right - i had a friend deliver up north and there was a 'birth center' attached to the hospital.  It was only midwives that delivered there but you could still get an epidural and while you weren't technically at the hospital you were still connected to it.  maybe it's something like that.

Quoting micheledo: Our local hospital calls their maternity ward a birthing center. But is is a hospital maternity ward. Just the name birthing center. Nothing natural about it. Maybe she is going somewhere like that where it is attached to a hospital and you can do it anyway you want?

cowgurlup91
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:44 AM

Mine was not at a hospital and did not have pain meds (which I was unaware of until labor, LOL)

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Where I gave birth to my dd, they had some lighter pain releaf drugs along with more natural options. 

AubryJ
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 1:05 AM
I birthed at home but my midwife owns the local birthing center and they do not offer pain medication. Most do not unless they are affiliated with a hospital.
hnischke
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 1:08 AM
My midwife says she has to offer everything an ob would but guides patients to facts about both natural methods and traditional methods. I'm not sure about pain medication during labor though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)