Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

sippy cup

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:27 PM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter is 7 months old. I am trying to get her used to a sippy cup but she won't take a drink out of it. How can I help her get used to her sippy cup.

by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM

She's young still. I never did suppy cups. Just straw cups. They learned when they were ready. 

ahleesha14
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 3:57 PM

oh straw cups ok I can always try that. How long did you keep your child on the bottle. My doctor told me once she is a year she should be off the bottle.

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 4:49 PM

No idea about the bottle. I don't think they are supposed to have them very far past a year at least, or else they run the risk of bottle rot. 

Quoting ahleesha14:

oh straw cups ok I can always try that. How long did you keep your child on the bottle. My doctor told me once she is a year she should be off the bottle.

JMmama
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Bottle rot happens when they sleep with a bottle that has anything in it but water. Developmentally, a sippie is no different than a bottle. We just give straw cups and open cups (although they do get sippies on occasions when I REALLY want to avoid spills) and they get the hang of it. I only put water in them anyway so if (when, lol) it gets spilled it isn't a big deal.
LoveMyBug2013
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:15 AM

Just keep introducing and trying different kinds.  DS never got the hang of a sippy, but at 10 months all of a sudden started drinking out of a straw cup.  Then he got sick and regressed, but as soon as he was better we transitioned again and then cut him off of bottles cold turkey at 11 months.  He hasn't looked back.  But at almost 14 months he still can't do a regular sippy.  7 months is really early--it's just a toy/game at this point.  You want the transition to occur by or shortly after a year.

ahleesha14
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I am trying to get her used to the sippy so when we stop giving her a bottle at a year she can drink out of that. I have never put her to bed with a bottle. She gets a bottle before she goes to bed.

AudlyLuvly
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:52 PM
That's still pretty young to transition. We used a 360° training cup, it doesn't have a spout, and teaches them to use an open cup with less risk of spilling.
AudlyLuvly
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:53 PM
We started cup training at around 10 months. Though we never used bottles, so we weren't transitioning from anything.

Quoting ahleesha14:

I am trying to get her used to the sippy so when we stop giving her a bottle at a year she can drink out of that. I have never put her to bed with a bottle. She gets a bottle before she goes to bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN