Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

People on pregnancy boards annoy me

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:11 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm so sick of reading "I'm 38 weeks and I want this baby out, I'm going to have the doctor strip my membranes/induce me."  I've even seen someone at 36 weeks say this. 

WHY? 

I get it, pregnancy is long and hard and uncomfortable, especially those last few weeks.  But why risk having a baby who is not ready?

I carried my son until 40w 2d.  My MW would not even consider stripping my membranes until 41 weeks (40w 5d actually).  She wouldn't induce until 42 weeks. 

It just annoys me that people whine so much and want to do things that put their babies at risk for their own comfort. 

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booaura
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:15 AM
I've had two early babies, 35 weeks and 36 weeks. They were both completely healthy, just small. But it was still terrifying, knowing that maybe they wouldn't be ok, maybe they'd have to go to the NICU, maybe they couldn't come right home. I went into labor at 28 weeks with my son, but they managed to stop it, and then at 36 weeks, there was no stopping it. Both labors were fast, so stopping wasn't really an option. I felt so guilty that my body wasn't keeping them in. I can't stand people who want babies out early, or don't see an issue with induction for convienence. Babies will come when they are ready. Pregnancy is rough. That's part of the deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBug2013
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this

That's definitely scary, but the difference is your babies came when they/your body was ready, not when you said "I'm over this" and forced it to happen through interventions.

I'm only 8 weeks now.  I have a long way to go.  But I'm going to do what's best for my baby not for me.  And I'm lucky that DH is 100% on board with me. 

Quoting booaura: I've had two early babies, 35 weeks and 36 weeks. They were both completely healthy, just small. But it was still terrifying, knowing that maybe they wouldn't be ok, maybe they'd have to go to the NICU, maybe they couldn't come right home. I went into labor at 28 weeks with my son, but they managed to stop it, and then at 36 weeks, there was no stopping it. Both labors were fast, so stopping wasn't really an option. I felt so guilty that my body wasn't keeping them in. I can't stand people who want babies out early, or don't see an issue with induction for convienence. Babies will come when they are ready. Pregnancy is rough. That's part of the deal.

booaura
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:22 AM
Oh, I know. I never tried to make them come, they just came. They were ready, but it could just as easily have been that they weren't ready, and my body just decided not to hold them anymore. Tried at 28 weeks, and no way would ds have been ok at that gestation. Having gone through the fear of not knowing, I will never understand how a mother can try to force it early, knowing what the outcome might be.

I'm currently 17 weeks with twins. They're going to come early, that's almost a 100% certainty. Having not gone past 36 weeks with just one, there is almost no way I'm going to make it further. It's already been a horrible pregnancy. I have hg, I've spent three weeks in the hospital. I went through gall bladder surgery and a post op infection, as well as a kidney infection. Nothing would make me try to force these babies out any earlier, unless of course staying in would risk my life or theirs. I have no patience with women who whine about some back pain and want their baby to come early, just because they are uncomfortable.

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

That's definitely scary, but the difference is your babies came when they/your body was ready, not when you said "I'm over this" and forced it to happen through interventions.

I'm only 8 weeks now.  I have a long way to go.  But I'm going to do what's best for my baby not for me.  And I'm lucky that DH is 100% on board with me. 

Quoting booaura: I've had two early babies, 35 weeks and 36 weeks. They were both completely healthy, just small. But it was still terrifying, knowing that maybe they wouldn't be ok, maybe they'd have to go to the NICU, maybe they couldn't come right home. I went into labor at 28 weeks with my son, but they managed to stop it, and then at 36 weeks, there was no stopping it. Both labors were fast, so stopping wasn't really an option. I felt so guilty that my body wasn't keeping them in. I can't stand people who want babies out early, or don't see an issue with induction for convienence. Babies will come when they are ready. Pregnancy is rough. That's part of the deal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBearEH
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I hear you... Too much about the mother's convenience and not enough about the child's well being. Unfortunately those medical tactics are where doctors make more money, so it's socially acceptable.
momoftwins19871
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:33 AM

We just do natural things like walking, using a large ball, and having sex with nipple manipulation.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 12:14 PM
I agree.

Quoting MamaBearEH: I hear you... Too much about the mother's convenience and not enough about the child's well being. Unfortunately those medical tactics are where doctors make more money, so it's socially acceptable.
tairakittie
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM
I'll be 40 weeks tomorrow, im finally getting to the point where I am just done being pregnant. Not because im uncomfortable or anything, I am just more than ready to meet the little guy and im having my first natural home water birth, so the longer he stays in, the bigger he gets... and im only 4'11. :/ My first was born at 39 weeks due to waters breaking, but I was induced anyway because I wasnt progressing fast enough to my hospital/OBs liking. Second my OB convinced me to induce on his due date because of borderline GD, but he was only 7lb15oz at birth. Since this is my third, I never thought Id make it to 40 weeks, let alone go over (havent yet but could). Thankfully I have a midwife this time and she is not rushing me at all, wouldnt even consider inducing unless I was 42 weeks. I dont want to be induced, I just want baby to come out on his own... now, or sometime in the next 4 days would be nice. My second childs bday is July 21st and I was hoping their birthdays would be at least 2 weeks apart, that would be today, so it looks like their birthdays will be back to back anyway. Thankfully they are both boys, so if they are into the same things when this one gets older, I can just have one party for the both of them... :) Trying to look on the brightside anyway.
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 5:54 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I will never understand this. It's one thing to grump about being uncomfortable. EVERYONE is uncomfortable at the end. It's totally different to risk your baby's health bc of some arbitrary date and moms desire to be done. It also seems that the women who induce early for their convenience are the most whiney once baby comes. It's like they're the only one that's ever been tired, their baby is the only one who poops a diaper, they need a break SO BAD (2 days after they are home from the hospital).

It's so annoying and selfish to me.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Happy 40 weeks tomorrow!  giving_flowers

Quoting tairakittie: I'll be 40 weeks tomorrow
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:03 PM

With my dd I did get stripped by my Midwife at 39 weeks.  I had already had two false starts (getting to 50% effaced and 1.5 cm the first time and 80% effeaced and 4 cm the second).  For me, the start and then stop prodomal labor was beginning to affect my sleep and was putting a lot of stress on dd.  While she wasn't in distress, fetal monitoring (externally) did confirm that she was not taking to the several days of on and off contractions well.  I was stripped on Monday and had dd on Thursday night.  After I was stripped labor did stall for two days (prior to this I had prodomal labor constantly, frequent low contractions that were not productive).  I began have contraction and labor signs Wednesday night/early Thursday.  For me it was less to do with being done being pregnant and more I was trying to avoid induction or a C/s with my dd.  I was told if her heart rate got worse that I would need to be induced or have a c/s. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)