Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Ummm, I don't think that's going to work

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:20 PM
  • 27 Replies

I took my youngest to his 18 month appointment today. His regular pediatrician was out of town so we saw the other pediatrician in the practice. I knew there was going to be a discussion about his weight. It's been a discussion at every appointment since birth. He's a tiny guy and always has been. We had a discussion about him not eating meat. I've offered it, but he just doesn't like meat at all. She gave me such a lecture and I got to the point where I just said, "I've been vegetarian for nearly 20 years and I have a degree in nutrition so I am completely aware of what he needs in his diet and what alternatives there are to meat and he is getting what he needs." Then there was the discussion about him drinking almond milk instead of cows milk, since they haven't diagnosed any milk protein allergy or the like. "Well, we tried milk when he weened from nursing and he got horribly constipated so we tried almond milk and he does much better" So now she says he's drinking too much milk and not enough water. I'm supposed to decrease his milk by 1/2 and double his water intake and then keep a food journal and come back in 2 months to see if he's gained weight. So essentially she just told me to decrease calories and get him to gain weight? I don't think that's going to work. Lol

So now I'm trying to come up with higher calorie foods for him. I'm having a hard time since we can't do dairy and he can't handle the texture of nut butters yet, both of which were great when I was trying to get my daughter to gain weight. I feel like I should know better since I was a nutritionist for several years, but I'm just at a loss right now. Any suggestions to get me started in the right direction with him?

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irondruidmomma
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Have you tried using the almond milk and maybe some dairy free or lactose free ice cream and make a milk shake with a nut butter added? Milk shakes are always good for calorie intake.
StaciF
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:41 PM
I was gonna kinda say what the above person suggested - whT about a plant based protein powder or something with the almond milk to increase the calories? Like sun warrior or something.
norahsmommy
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Add some coconut oil or avocado to his food. I sympathize. My second dd was extremely small. She started falling off her curve and seemed to miss at least 2 major growth spurts. We decreased her grains and increased her fats and she sprouted like a weed. It was amazing. She is still smaller than her peers but she is growing now at a slow and steady rate. She is 7 and 42 lbs, I don't remember how tall but she is a year older than her classmates and is the shortest in class.
mewebb82
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:42 PM

We actually tried that with my daughter. It didn't work out very well until after she was off sippy cups though and could drink from a regular cup. Thicker drinks just don't to through the sippy cup well. I will definitely try it when he's older though, because I'm sure his weight will be an ongoing issue like his sister.

Quoting irondruidmomma: Have you tried using the almond milk and maybe some dairy free or lactose free ice cream and make a milk shake with a nut butter added? Milk shakes are always good for calorie intake.

mewebb82
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

That would definitely be worth trying, although I think it would have to mix a fairly small amount in so it doesn't thicken the almond milk too much and still goes through his sippy. Thanks! 

Quoting StaciF: I was gonna kinda say what the above person suggested - whT about a plant based protein powder or something with the almond milk to increase the calories? Like sun warrior or something.

StaciF
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:50 PM
Worst case maybe you could get a soft nipple sippy you could cut a bigger hole - though that definitely increase spill risk! Hope it works and glad I might have been helpful!!

Quoting mewebb82:

That would definitely be worth trying, although I think it would have to mix a fairly small amount in so it doesn't thicken the almond milk too much and still goes through his sippy. Thanks! 

Quoting StaciF: I was gonna kinda say what the above person suggested - whT about a plant based protein powder or something with the almond milk to increase the calories? Like sun warrior or something.

mewebb82
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:02 PM

We use coconut oil quite a bit, but I am definitely planning to use more and make certain recipes more often that I know are higher calorie. Avocados are a good suggestion. He loves avocado and corn salsa.

My daughter is 7 and 42 lbs as well. We didn't really start having issues with her weight until 2 1/2 though and there were so many more options for her to gain weight. I'm at the point now where I know part of this is just genetics. My husband is really skinny and I'm short and was really skinny until my daughter (2nd baby) was born and my metabolism came to a halt. It doesn't make it any less frustrating though. Jax has only gained 4 oz. since 9 months old. I think he actually gained some between 12 months and 17 months (when he started walking) and then lost a little. He's so active now and never stops moving. 

Quoting norahsmommy: Add some coconut oil or avocado to his food. I sympathize. My second dd was extremely small. She started falling off her curve and seemed to miss at least 2 major growth spurts. We decreased her grains and increased her fats and she sprouted like a weed. It was amazing. She is still smaller than her peers but she is growing now at a slow and steady rate. She is 7 and 42 lbs, I don't remember how tall but she is a year older than her classmates and is the shortest in class.

mewebb82
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish that would work, but he's never taken a soft sippy. We've struggled so much to get him to take a sippy and he only takes 1 literally. We have that cup in 2 colors and he will only take the green one. Lol

Quoting StaciF: Worst case maybe you could get a soft nipple sippy you could cut a bigger hole - though that definitely increase spill risk! Hope it works and glad I might have been helpful!!
Quoting mewebb82:

StaciF
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Haha I gotcha! Well whatever you can mix with the almond milk is worth a shot at least! Keep us updated!

Quoting mewebb82:

I wish that would work, but he's never taken a soft sippy. We've struggled so much to get him to take a sippy and he only takes 1 literally. We have that cup in 2 colors and he will only take the green one. Lol

Quoting StaciF: Worst case maybe you could get a soft nipple sippy you could cut a bigger hole - though that definitely increase spill risk! Hope it works and glad I might have been helpful!!

Quoting mewebb82:

MamaBearEH
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Sure it will work! For the doctors goal...

... Yams or sweet potato are also high calories with some good nutrients. We also cook with healthy oils like rice bran, avocado, and coconut.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)