Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Embracing the crunchiness

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:55 PM
  • 11 Replies
I'm currently using garlic and probiotics to reduce the GBS bacteria before this baby comes. I must say that sticking garlic up there felt awfully weird but I'm confident that I'm doing the right thing.

I want to avoid exposing my newborn to antibiotics and also ensure that he gets exposure to the good bacteria when he is born.

Anybody else have experience using garlic and probiotics after testing positive for GBS? What was your treatment routine?
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 10:03 PM
I haven't done it personally, although I wish I had know about it when I was pregnant.
Here's a bump, because I know there are others who have tried it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jul. 13, 2014 at 2:01 AM
IDK anything about it but hopefully someone else will chime in. What kind of probiotics are you using?
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I had been taking Fem Dophilus orally but my midwife recommended FemEcology by vitanica to use vaginally.

Quoting jconney80: IDK anything about it but hopefully someone else will chime in. What kind of probiotics are you using?
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 2:35 PM
I didn't do anything special, as I was told that such methods are completely ineffective. It's more about cleanliness as the bacteria spreads from your digestive tract, from the exit, to your vagina. I wouldn't be comfortable using anything vaginally that close to birth either. GBS can come and go without warning.
VanessaCB
by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 2:49 PM
That is a horrible idea. You will burn yourself with garlic. I learned the hard way. Try chewing on raw garlic and you will burn your mouth. I tried putting some garlic on a cyst and the skin around it burned.
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM
The garlic burns broken skin or extrememly sensitive skin, it has not burned me at all.

Quoting VanessaCB: That is a horrible idea. You will burn yourself with garlic. I learned the hard way. Try chewing on raw garlic and you will burn your mouth. I tried putting some garlic on a cyst and the skin around it burned.
GoldenLinds
by Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this
The garlic is a totally acceptable method of combating it although not very effective in the long run. But even mor eeffective is to get some hibiclense and use it until and during birth. Wr still recommend both to clients but it is what it is. Are you planning a water birth?
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM
I will have a birth tub but am open to giving birth there or somewhere else. My biggest goal was to reduce exposure to the GBS while still giving baby access to the good bacteria that will help his colonize his gut during birth. Thats the goal with alternating garlic and probiotics. I know the GBS can recolonize which is why the plan is to keep treating until labor starts.

Quoting GoldenLinds: The garlic is a totally acceptable method of combating it although not very effective in the long run. But even mor eeffective is to get some hibiclense and use it until and during birth. Wr still recommend both to clients but it is what it is. Are you planning a water birth?
VanessaCB
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 1:14 PM
The skin inside your vagina is extremely sensitive skin. I had a weird feeling too and i thought it means it is working but no it was a burn. I would not have known i had a burn if I didnt see it. Did you actually look inside your vagina to know you dont have a burn?
Quoting MissSarah04: The garlic burns broken skin or extrememly sensitive skin, it has not burned me at all.

Quoting VanessaCB: That is a horrible idea. You will burn yourself with garlic. I learned the hard way. Try chewing on raw garlic and you will burn your mouth. I tried putting some garlic on a cyst and the skin around it burned.
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Yes I know it did not burn me. I gave birth yesterday morning and the skin was definitely not burned.

Quoting VanessaCB: The skin inside your vagina is extremely sensitive skin. I had a weird feeling too and i thought it means it is working but no it was a burn. I would not have known i had a burn if I didnt see it. Did you actually look inside your vagina to know you dont have a burn?
Quoting MissSarah04: The garlic burns broken skin or extrememly sensitive skin, it has not burned me at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN