Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

diaper rash help

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:55 PM
  • 18 Replies
DD is 4 months and starting to get hwr first diaper rash. I tried my usual viniger soak which has worked in less than 24 hours with my other kids. That does not seem to be the case here. We do not cloth diaper, and she isnt using a new brand. What else can I try?
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:06 AM
I'm assuming by your comment about not using a new brand that you're not sure the cause if the rash... Is that right? I think that's important to know before you treat anything.

Any new food? Is it yeast? Was there poop and pee? How often do you change? Does she have eczema? Is she too hot? Is the skin raw, red, swollen, cracking like, blistering, pimples, peeling skin ect?
tairakittie
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Coconut oil helps... my older two had constant rashes until we switched to cloth, we used Luvs before we switched and buttpaste for rashes.
caligirl7613
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM
I have plenty of that on hand

Quoting tairakittie: Coconut oil helps... my older two had constant rashes until we switched to cloth, we used Luvs before we switched and buttpaste for rashes.
caligirl7613
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Idk what a yeast rash looks like, no cracking, swollen, bleeding, pimples etc. Look like a typical diaper rash. She ate some avocado anf steamed carrots, which she has had before with no problems. I noticed it after she had a bowel movement but she wasn't in the nasty diaper longer than 10 min because i had just changed her. I noticed she looked a little red right after that. The next morning it was a bit worse. Tried the vinegar soak but still hasnt seemed to help

Quoting MamaBearEH: I'm assuming by your comment about not using a new brand that you're not sure the cause if the rash... Is that right? I think that's important to know before you treat anything.

Any new food? Is it yeast? Was there poop and pee? How often do you change? Does she have eczema? Is she too hot? Is the skin raw, red, swollen, cracking like, blistering, pimples, peeling skin ect?
adamat34
by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Old school but when I had my kids my pArents were already old.....corn starch.. Assuming she is not allergic to corn. Just liberally apply when you change the diaper cheap and it always worked for my boys especially during summer when they would get all sweaty and sticky hope it gets better soon!!
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Sounds like maybe just from sitting in pee & poop combination.  The two together are pretty harsh on the skin, especially if you're not using a barrier like coconut oil after changes.  I always found disposables emphasize the effect of that too, because even the best ones don't breathe well.   I would clean with mild natural soapy water, coconut oil barrier, and keep her out of disposables (or at least allow regular air time) until you see some improvement.

FYI if it's yeast you won't want to use something like cornstarch, because it can feed the infection.  You can Google a bunch of pictures to see what they look like.

Quoting caligirl7613: Idk what a yeast rash looks like, no cracking, swollen, bleeding, pimples etc. Look like a typical diaper rash. She ate some avocado anf steamed carrots, which she has had before with no problems. I noticed it after she had a bowel movement but she wasn't in the nasty diaper longer than 10 min because i had just changed her. I noticed she looked a little red right after that. The next morning it was a bit worse. Tried the vinegar soak but still hasnt seemed to help
Quoting MamaBearEH: I'm assuming by your comment about not using a new brand that you're not sure the cause if the rash... Is that right? I think that's important to know before you treat anything. Any new food? Is it yeast? Was there poop and pee? How often do you change? Does she have eczema? Is she too hot? Is the skin raw, red, swollen, cracking like, blistering, pimples, peeling skin ect?

mewebb82
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Try coconut oil. It has worked great for every rash aside from a yeast rash or staph rash with my youngest 2 kids.

StaciF
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Organic Coconut oil and boob juice if you are nursing :)
sugarcrisp
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Coconut oil!

rmgriffberg
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:11 AM

here is my go to for diaper rashes. first i try coconut oil, if that doesnt work i add a little tea tree oil to coconut oil and put that on, if that doesnt work i use Tiny Heinys diaper ointment made by Sugar Bear (sold online), if that doesnt work i combine everything and i have only had to do that 1 time with 3 kids :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN