Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Unmedicated birth is a fairy tale??!!

Posted by   + Show Post
I am planning an unmedicated birth in a few months and I keep getting told there's no way and how crazy it is. One person even said it is just a fairy tale that isn't real life, that when it comes to giving birth you just scream, it's crazy and too painful to handle without an epideral.
This is my first baby and need encouragement!!
Tell me your natural birth stories please!! What helped you through labor?
UPDATE~~
Thanks ladies!! It helps so much to hear these stories! I am determined to do this or at least do what I can. Ultimate goal of course is to have a healthy baby and momma so if any intervention is completely necessary I am not going to be devastated, but as long as I keep progressing well I am confident I can do this med free!!
by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Replies (51-59):
hillmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:29 PM
First baby was a medicated induced hospital birth. #2 and 3 were 100% natural unmedicated home births, and a million times easier. So will #4,due the end of October to early November. Use practice waves to practice relaxing the body, essentially the pelvic floor.
cucucachoo
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:40 PM

You can do it! Don't let anyone tell you how to give birth.

Emycf
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:42 PM
I ended up having a completely wonderful medicated birth with no issues.

However, I had wanted to do it naturally but was unable to due issues beyond any ones control.

However I know a couple women who have had natural home births and loved it. It is definitely possible.
ERMDK
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:01 AM
I had 2 unmedicated VBACS. During the first one, the nurse offered me stadol (sp?) But she told me it would only help between contractions, and I told her it doesn't hurt between contractions, so no thanks. Dh applied , pressure on my lower back and we used ice packs, too. That baby was 9lb 6oz, and had her hand up by her face. It hurt, but then it was over. With the last baby, I stayed home for a long time and it didn't really hurt until we were driving. I was 9 cm when we arrived at the hospital, and he was born an hour later. He was 8lb 14oz, and I stood up and leaned on the bars to push.
To be honest, it hurt and I moaned and yelled. But when it's over, the pain goes away very quickly. It's not a fairy tale!
mommyflaw
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I have had two unmedicated [pain wise at least] births. It's doable. The way I did it was suck peppermints and every contraction I'd ride it out and think 'okay, that wasn't so bad, I can handle another one' until it was too late for an epi. Maybe not the best way but it's how I managed it and I'm planning a third unmedicated.

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:06 AM
I had two home births . I never screamed, just moaned. We are designed for it . Read Ina May Gaskin , it's empowering!
ahleesha14
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:01 AM

My friend did it med free. It depends how high your pain tolerance is.

psychessun
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:13 PM

i've had two with no drugs and no medical interventions.

mylilprincesses
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM
My 3rd girl her birth was a accidental homebirth. Changed my opinion totally on home births. If I was to have another unmedicated homebirth it would be. Before I had given birth I was soo determined to give birth natural. Toured the hospital and saw that they had a lot of natural birthing options.

Only time I screamed was the actual birthing part.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)