Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home birth in an apartment

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:27 AM
  • 7 Replies
I'm not currently pregnant but we're TTC for #2 starting this month. We most likely won't be in a house until late next year but I've always wanted a home birth. My son was born 9 months ago at a birth center and it was an amazing experience and I'm planning on using the same midwife again. The problem is I'm a very sentimental person and I think it would be hard for me to have a home birth where we aren't permanently living. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm very sentimental as well but we also rent and have a tendency to move a lot. Hopefully we will find our forever home soon but I wasn't going to let the fact that we are in a temporary home take away my desire for a home birth. Our lease is up in two years and we will definitely be moving then as we are not happy with this house or landlord.

I proudly gave birth on my kitchen floor 2 weeks ago =)
tairakittie
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:28 AM
We had to move from one rental to another this past April, I chose a house I felt comfortable giving birth in, but we plan on moving again when our lease is up next April. Having a homebirth was more important to me. I gave birth in my shower, just like I had dreamed (literally, I had a dream I gave birth in my shower unassisted and ended up actually giving birth in my shower unassisted!! lol)
MaryJarrett
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM
We rent, and while this home will always hold a special place in my heart as the birth place of my son, I don't want to spend my life here. It's a great place, it's just not *our* home. Don't let this not being your forever home rob you of a birth you want. :) You'll make many precious memories there, your birth could be one of them. Maybe having a photographer or a camera set up would help you capture the moments for permanent keepsakes?
kajira
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I gave birth to my daughter on our bed in the house we were renting. I don't think of the house as meaning anything, I just think of the experience as a whole as the sentimental memory I wanted.

MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I can understand that.  I'd choose a birthing center over a location I know I wouldn't stay in, because the birth is something that will always be with me.

melindabelcher
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM

We're planning a home birth with our baby due in October. 

We live in an apartment but this is our home. I don't need to have my name on a mortgage to feel like i'm at home. We have lots of pictures around and I have been in the process to make sure no area of my home is cluttered or messy feeling. As I am confident those would be huge inhibitors for my labor. 

We have a great midwife. And a great support team in place to help us. 

I'm very much looking forward to not having to drive or pack up to head out once labor starts. 

DMWmomma
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:33 PM
I am a very sentimental person as well. I gave birth with out first son in a rental apartment, in our bed. So now I just tote that bed from house to house. We love right down the road from that apartment so I be sure to tell DS1 every time we drive by that that's where he was born. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)