Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding moms - how strictly do you monitor your diet?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM
  • 11 Replies

For some reason, I always assumed that once pregnancy was over, diet restrictions became a thing of the past, within reason of course - I knew I wouldn't be able to drink 5 cups of coffee and drink a bottle of wine each night, but I had no idea how many foods out there could cause painful gas in babies!

Our 6.5 week old has had some terrible gas issues following feeds, so after close monitoring, I have discovered that dairy products are a primary culprit, as are coffee, eggs, and acidic fruit. Whilst I'm happy to cut these things out of my diet to make sure my LO doesn't suffer from gas pains, I'm still a bit shocked at just how much of an impact everyday foods can have on her tiny digestive system! I'm also a bit sad as I LOVE my morning latte, ice cream, all fruits, and raw cookie dough, amongst other things that are now on my 'no go' list. And I'm wondering how to make sure I get enough calcium in my diet, but that's a concern for a later date I guess!

For those of you who are EBF, how closely do you monitor your diet? Were you aware prior to having your LO just how much of an impact all these 'normal' foods could have on your LO? Also, did you find that you could start eating some of these foods again once your LO got a bit older and had a more mature digestive system? I've heard that around 3 months, things get a bit better but am not sure if that's just wishful thinking on my part!

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Dairy alternatives are commonly equivilient in vitamin/mineral content to cow's milk.  Have you tried using any of those?

• Enriched Rice Dream for a glass of milk
  • Coconut Dream for ice cream
  • Daiya for cheese
  • So Delicious Coconut Coffee Creamer for your morning beverage
  • Tea for your coffee

You should also still be taking a prenatal vitamin for as long as you're breastfeeding.

larissalarie
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
At 6 weeks old, gas and such after feedings are completely normal and likely unrelated to your diet. Their digestive systems are still new and learning to work, so issues like that are pretty normal. There's also a good possibility you have an oversupply and THAT will give a baby those symptoms much more than anything you eat!

In general I eat whatever I want when I'm breastfeeding. I also exercise vigorously and cut calories for weight loss. It's all perfectly fine.
That said, I did have to cut any and all dairy for my baby that was severely allergic to it. (Btw, it takes at least 2 weeks and up to 4 for dairy to clear your system once you eliminate it completely, so if dairy was bothering your baby, it'd be an ongoing problem for a couple of weeks after eliminating, NOT something you could cut out one day and see an immediate difference)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:40 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm thinking oversupply rather than your diet from all that you've said.

To answer your questions though, plant based calcium sources are more easily absorbed than the supplements added in dairy products, so as long as you're eating a well rounded, pretty healthy, whole food diet, I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't change my diet too much for pregnancy or nursing.

My oldest did "react to milk", but not to yogurt/cheese/etc, but actually it was me. Raw dairy stimulates my milk production which exasperates my oversupply, so that's what the real issue for me was. None of my other nurslings have had issue, though I still have an oversupply, I know how to help them.

Most foods and most nursing relationships are unaffected by each other. It is pretty rare for a baby to have large reactions to a lot of foods.

What you've heard about introducing it later is true, in the sense of no matter what you eat or avoid, baby's intestines will continue to mature over time.
polkaspots
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:43 PM
I don't. I had to limit my milk drinking when all three of mine were newborns, because I was drinking too much and they were reacting to it. I was chugging a glass or two to replace meals I didn't have the time to make. But that went away by three or four months old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:58 PM
I agreed that totally sounds like oversupply rather than food issues.

Quoting MaryJarrett: I'm thinking oversupply rather than your diet from all that you've said.

To answer your questions though, plant based calcium sources are more easily absorbed than the supplements added in dairy products, so as long as you're eating a well rounded, pretty healthy, whole food diet, I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't change my diet too much for pregnancy or nursing.

My oldest did "react to milk", but not to yogurt/cheese/etc, but actually it was me. Raw dairy stimulates my milk production which exasperates my oversupply, so that's what the real issue for me was. None of my other nurslings have had issue, though I still have an oversupply, I know how to help them.

Most foods and most nursing relationships are unaffected by each other. It is pretty rare for a baby to have large reactions to a lot of foods.

What you've heard about introducing it later is true, in the sense of no matter what you eat or avoid, baby's intestines will continue to mature over time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graycalico
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:34 AM
I've never had to restrict anything.
Sarah725
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 6:45 AM

I don't have any restrictions on my diet but I have noticed I don't eat a lot of dairy to begin with.

illegallyblonde
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM
I don't restrict my diet but I also don't eat dairy.
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I've only had to restrict my diet due to severe food allergies. My kids had gas due to lip and tongue ties. I'd check into that before assuming it is what you're eating. It causes a lot of gas problems and fussiness

hapababies
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:42 PM
I didn't indulge in junk food very much and tried to eat a clean diet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)