Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Paragard and Acne

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:11 AM
  • 15 Replies

I had the Paragard inserted July 14th. In the past week, I've noticed I'm breaking out on my face, and my face is more oily than usual. Before I had the Paragard inserted, I had very clear skin. I use jojoba oil and coconut oil to cleanse and moisturize. I rarely wear makeup, and if I decide to use soap on my face (rare), I use a mild goat's milk soap. Nothing about my "routine" has changed, except for the Paragard.

I chose the Paragard because I didn't want hormonal birth control. Prior to the Paragard, I was not taking any birth control, so I can't attribute the acne to a drop in hormone levels. I guess I was under the false-impression that only hormonal birth control could cause this. A quick Google search revealed lots of women reporting acne after having the Paragard inserted. Bummer.

So, my question is, have any of you experienced this, and if you have, what natural remedies did you use to help it? Were they successful? Even if you haven't experienced this, any general recommendations?

Thanks, ladies. :)

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyflaw
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM

How is Paragard? I had Mirena before but it didn't take and I was looking at other options.

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:07 PM
So far, I love it. Insertion was uncomfortable, but didn't hurt. I had cramping and spotting for about a week after. I'm actually on my period now, and haven't noticed any harsher cramps, but my flow is definitely heavier. Aside from the skin issue, I am definitely happy with it.

Quoting mommyflaw:

How is Paragard? I had Mirena before but it didn't take and I was looking at other options.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Paragard has side effects and it messes with your natural hormones. Most likely your skin issues is from a side effect of the copper that is used in it. 

There is a page on FB that you might want to check out. I had nasty side effects with it, from constant skin break outs that would not go away, hair falling out in handfuls to servere depression. I finally had mine removed after only 10 months due to a miscarraige. 

Paragard Don't GET ONE, Women helping women to be informed.

MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I can't really comment on the birth control, but I use tea tree oil & water as a toner.  I've had bad ACNE since childhood & honestly tried everything under the sun available OTC & by prescription.  Other than tea tree oil I would say that microderm abrasion also helped.

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:04 PM
I don't have Facebook, so I can only see the "about" page.

Honestly, what I'm experiencing is not a reason for me to have it removed. The benefits outweigh this minor issue, in my opinion. I will definitely watch for the side effects you mentioned. I'm going to do more research when I get to the office tonight. Thank you!

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Paragard has side effects and it messes with your natural hormones. Most likely your skin issues is from a side effect of the copper that is used in it. 

There is a page on FB that you might want to check out. I had nasty side effects with it, from constant skin break outs that would not go away, hair falling out in handfuls to servere depression. I finally had mine removed after only 10 months due to a miscarraige. 

Paragard Don't GET ONE, Women helping women to be informed.

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:06 PM
Thank you. :)

Quoting MamaBearEH:

I can't really comment on the birth control, but I use tea tree oil & water as a toner.  I've had bad ACNE since childhood & honestly tried everything under the sun available OTC & by prescription.  Other than tea tree oil I would say that microderm abrasion also helped.

tairakittie
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:01 PM
I had paragard for 3 long, painful years and ended up taking it out myself due to copper toxicity. My body was going numb, seriously. Sex was painful, I had 10 day long, heavy periods every 2 weeks. After I took it out my periods went down to 3 days every 26 days, sex wasnt painful anymore and after about 8 months I got all sensation back in my body. I did natrual family planning for 11 months until a miscommunication with SO got me pregnant. My sweet baby boy is now a month old. lol When my cycle returns I will definitely go back to NFP and condoms as birth control. Paragard is evil.
mommymain
by New Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Clarity does not contain any harsh chemicals and works better than pro active. It has Melaleuca oil in it which is the purest form of tea tree oil.

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 3:23 AM

So far, I like it. The skin issue is my only issue. I am really hoping it works out. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Congrats on your new little one!

Quoting tairakittie: I had paragard for 3 long, painful years and ended up taking it out myself due to copper toxicity. My body was going numb, seriously. Sex was painful, I had 10 day long, heavy periods every 2 weeks. After I took it out my periods went down to 3 days every 26 days, sex wasnt painful anymore and after about 8 months I got all sensation back in my body. I did natrual family planning for 11 months until a miscommunication with SO got me pregnant. My sweet baby boy is now a month old. lol When my cycle returns I will definitely go back to NFP and condoms as birth control. Paragard is evil.

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 3:23 AM

Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely look into it. :)

Quoting mommymain:

Clarity does not contain any harsh chemicals and works better than pro active. It has Melaleuca oil in it which is the purest form of tea tree oil.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN