Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Is Witch Hazel all it claims to be?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:50 PM
  • 10 Replies
I was reading an article about all the uses for it. Do by our use it? What for?
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:31 PM

We use distilled witch hazel on insect bites.  It works miracles.  A few weeks ago there was a huge mosquito issue at the farm.  I came out looking like I had the chicken pox.  I used up bottles of stuff while I was there to no avail.  Came home... put the witch hazel on once... and within 24 hours they were all gone.  Instantly no itching.

melindabelcher
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I've only used it post partum 

JackAttacks
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM

i use it as face toner. DH uses it for hemorrhoids

AubryJ
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:17 PM

I use it as a toner, for hemorrhoids, as a wipes solution, and to clean my basset hounds ears.

mcwebtex
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM

its a great product! My daughter had a deep splinter that we couldnt reach with a tweezer, so soaked her foot, and then we taped a cotton ball of witch hazel on it over night and by the time morning came it drew the splinter out enough to grab with the tweeter and it was out!!!! Thankfully cause it was very painful for her.

Sara-1989
by New Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 3:36 PM
Is it safe for baby?

Is there information online about its safety and uses?

Quoting AubryJ:

I use it as a toner, for hemorrhoids, as a wipes solution, and to clean my basset hounds ears.

japanmommy
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM
I used it when my daughter had bad diarrhea from antibiotics. Worked miracles! No I use it all the time lol.
AubryJ
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Yes, but I ensure not to use one that contains alcohol. I've used just witch hazel for cloth diaper changes but I generally make a mixture for my wipes solution and put it in a spray bottle. For my dogs ear solution it usually contains garlic and olive oil, etc.

Quoting Sara-1989: Is it safe for baby? Is there information online about its safety and uses?
Quoting AubryJ:

1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 6:52 AM
Yea I used pads post postpartum and to clean cuts
Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:48 PM

This makes me wander, I've been told that witch hazel can help dry up your breast milk when you're done breastfeeding...

Does anyone know if this true at all? I mean has it worked for anyone? because i'm looking to start drying it up soon since baby turned one sunday...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN