Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

New School Year Cleanout Day 1: Follow the 4 Ts

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:00 AM
  • 20 Replies

Welcome, and thanks for signing up for the New School Year Cleanout! First tip: Take inventory of what you have and follow the rules of 4 Ts:

1. Turn it into something new:

• Old notebooks can be made new again by cutting out the used pages and slapping a "Hello, My Name Is” sticker on the cover.
  • Random pencils can be put in mugs next to the phone (along with an old notebook!) for “while you were out” messages.
  • Last year’s backpack can be washed, patched, tie-dyed, buttoned, bedazzled – you name it!

2. Treasure it:

• If it’s artwork or work your child did that you don’t want to throw away, file it in a sturdy bin for the basement, attic or storage shelf.

3. Turn it over to someone new:

• If you’ve got any new or like-new supplies from last year that you know you won’t use this year, offer them to a friend or neighbor, donate to a local daycare or shelter, or see if your kid’s school can use them. 

4. Toss what’s no longer usable!

• If you’re never going to use it and it can’t be donated or passed on, toss it in the trash or recycling bin.

What is YOUR school supply inventory like? Tell us what you’ve got, and how you can use the 4 T’s to cut down on your stash in the replies below! Bonus points for photos!

school bussweepinglunchbag

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM

We reuse some stuff and buy some new. We do toss stuff that can no longer be used

KreatingMe
by New Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM

We have some doubles this year, mostly notebooks and crayons. My mom had picked him up a few things without talking to me first. I'm going to give them to the teacher .

The list wasn't bad this year, it had all the usual items except for notebooks. No notebook at all in the school supply list this year, for third grade. I'm not sure if its a mistake or not. It's kind of strange.

kmqw229
by New Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM
Good tips!

We are just starting out, since my oldest is starting kindergarten.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkcsmtlgy
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I love the idea of reusing supplies from last year but our school wants new supplies every year. So I think I will do the notebook idea for here at home.

tisaynababae
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:48 PM

My DD is a toddler and will color on anything. I had her any papers and graded asignments that have the back page empty so she can draw a picture on it. Sometimes, even if there is writing on both sides she likes to add her mark. Then, when she is done, it is off to the recycling bin it goes.

amy_dawn
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:37 PM
We homeschool, so my school supply stash sticks around and, if I'm not careful, becomes unmanageable. But we most definitely use a notebook until all the pages are used, and reuse supplies year after year. My kids are a range of ages, so what one kid 'grows out of', the next one gets.

We have a room dedicated for school, though we use the entire house. In it we have a large white cabinet/armoir that all my supplies, including puzzles, math manipulatives, and science kits, get stored in.
amy_dawn
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Oh, and I have begun digitizing most artwork, unless it is really special.
ProudMeof2
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:52 AM

My son is in Pre-K so right now we don't have much cuz he doesn't need much.

micheledo
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:53 AM
I really need to get a better filing system for my kid's artwork. Definitely something to work on here.

As far as reusing, we already do that on a regular basis. Unfortunately I did have to buy a LOT of new markers. My two year old has taught his little sister one of his favorite tricks of pulling out the tip of the marker and eating it.
kcangel63
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM
We reuse pretty much everything. I have 9 kids I homeschool, so everything has a use.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)