Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

New School Year Cleanout Day 2: Get Organized!

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:23 AM
  • 19 Replies

Ready for Day 2 of our New School Year Cleanout? Like everything else, school stuff can get out of hand. Here are some ways to organize:

• Get a plastic filing cabinet and file folders to organize art projects you don’t want to throw out, past assignments, tests and papers, and notes from the teacher or school. Be sure to label each folder so you know exactly what’s in it.
  • Use a good sturdy shoebox (cover with pretty paper or fabric -- or have the kids decorate it for a rainy day project!) and fill it with any stray school stuff like glue sticks, markers, crayons, rulers, etc. You can keep it with the play things as an arts & crafts caddy or keep it on top of, or in, that plastic filing cabinet so everything is in one spot.
  • If you don’t have one, pick up a small bookcase or install a shelf or 2 for books so you can see all of them clearly.
  • Hang wall hooks or get a coat rack for backpacks, lunch bags, coats, etc. so everything can be put there at night, ready for the morning.
  • Don’t forget the extracurriculars! Find a spot for musical instruments, stands and books and store soccer stuff, dance gear or any other equipment where it’s out of the way but easy to grab.

What are your best tips for organizing your kids' stuff?

Sign up for the New School Year Cleanout Challenge here: Are You Ready for School? Sign Up for the New School Year Cleanout!
I
f you missed yesterday's challenge post, find it here: New School Year Cleanout Day 1: Follow the 4 Ts

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Great ideas. I need to work on organizing more. We do have wall hooks for coats and stuff

micheledo
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:55 AM
I built an entire wall out of cubicles for our school stuff last year. It does need cleaned up a bit, and I would like to do the opposite wall. That has really helped with organization. (Homeschooler)
pinkcsmtlgy
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:00 AM

We have a big plastic shelving unit that we use to organize their things.  We use a lot of milk crates.

kcangel63
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Great ideas! I use school art boxes and have each one designated for different items (crayons, pencils, markers, erasers, index cards, etc...).
la_bella_vita
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:46 AM

We have an organizer by the front door. It has hooks, shelves, and places for shoes. Being organized is key!

ablackdolphin
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:57 AM
I have several three ring binders where I keep work
ablackdolphin
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:58 AM
labled plastic bins
ablackdolphin
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:59 AM
laminate holiday work and store with holiday decorations
IncognitoOne
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I need to organize our filing cabinet. Right now....it's a jumbled mess of important papers in one drawer and targets for practicing shooting in the other....(don't flip out, the guns and ammo are locked away in a gun cabinet in our bedroom).

Lydlou02
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Im an not ready for all of this. But I do have a box for crayons and pencils
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)