Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Mirena?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:11 PM
  • 12 Replies

Long story short, I might be pregnant. If I'm not, I have an appointment to get Mirena, because, really, a pregnancy right now would suck lol. Not a baby, a baby would be great, a PREGNANCY would suck. It's expensive, I would have to suffer through three months of agonizing morning sickness and fatigue, then 3 months of backaches later on, and giving birth doesn't exactly appeal to me right now lol. 

Anyway, I don't think I'm pregnant because I usually have symptoms really early on. I'll be taking a test Monday, but until then, I'm trying to get some feedback on Mirena.

Things I like about it:

• Could help with my terrible cramping
  • Could reduce or eliminate my period
  • Excellent birth control
  • Allows for spontineity
  • Doesn't have as large a concentration of hormones as the pill
  • Lasts for 5 years
  • Can be used by overweight women without a drop in efficacy.

I worry about how much it will hurt to get it placed, and I worry about side effects. 

What do you guys have to share with me about this?

by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM
I looked extensively into bc options, there are zero I am comfortable with. Mirerna, IMO, is the least evil before a permanent fix. I have had it for a couple years and have no side effects and have always been able to find the strings. I like it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mna_823
I think that my son may have set a record for projectile vomit. My poor baby :(
Today at 10:53 AM
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM
It was harder for me to conceive after I had Mirena removed. I only had about 3 or 4 periods a year but when they did come the cramping was awful. Also, they had to remove it because it had started to "drift". And there were times during sex that DH said he could feel it.

That was my experience anyways.
AtiFreeFalls
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I feel the same! I've done a TON of research, and all methods either don't work for me (for example, diaphragms won't fit properly because of a cystocele), aren't very effective, have awful side effects (almost got a ParaGard, but REALLY don't want heavier, longer, crampier periods, I already deal with that), or are liable to be forgotten in the heat of the moment.

We've discussed a vasectomy, but we aren't 100% sure we're done. Only about 90% lol. Hopefully Mirena won't give me horrible side effects :(

Quoting jellyphish: I looked extensively into bc options, there are zero I am comfortable with. Mirerna, IMO, is the least evil before a permanent fix. I have had it for a couple years and have no side effects and have always been able to find the strings. I like it.

AtiFreeFalls
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:26 PM

If it's harder for us to concieve after I have it removed, we will be down to average fertility lol. 

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with it, though :( 

Quoting mna_823: It was harder for me to conceive after I had Mirena removed. I only had about 3 or 4 periods a year but when they did come the cramping was awful. Also, they had to remove it because it had started to "drift". And there were times during sex that DH said he could feel it. That was my experience anyways.

mna_823
I think that my son may have set a record for projectile vomit. My poor baby :(
Today at 10:53 AM
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Lol. I hope yours is better than mine. It didn't take us too long thankfully. But the first time around we got pregnant in less than a month. The second time it took seven months. I can't complain too much there are so many women that it takes years, it was just strange for us.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

If it's harder for us to concieve after I have it removed, we will be down to average fertility lol. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with it, though :( 

Quoting mna_823: It was harder for me to conceive after I had Mirena removed. I only had about 3 or 4 periods a year but when they did come the cramping was awful. Also, they had to remove it because it had started to "drift". And there were times during sex that DH said he could feel it.

That was my experience anyways.

larissalarie
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:02 PM
I'm basically the same. I wish there was a perfect option for those of us who aren't ok with as many babies as we could have during our fertile years, but alas there are positives and negatives to everything. Mirena is the best option for me. I used it after my second child (who took us like a year and a half to conceive) and conceived our 3rd child the first try after removal. I tried Paragard after that child since it's good even longer and hormone free, but for me that was a disaster. So after fourth child, I went back to Mirena and it's been fine.

Quoting jellyphish: I looked extensively into bc options, there are zero I am comfortable with. Mirerna, IMO, is the least evil before a permanent fix. I have had it for a couple years and have no side effects and have always been able to find the strings. I like it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I hated the mirena! 

Intercourse was miserable for DH. Nothing like the feeling of being stabbed in the penis head with every penetration.

I had bleeding on and off for months! 10 months to be exact. 

I have no idea what our birth control choice will be after this baby but i don't forsee going back to the Mirena ever. 

TheMeanestMom
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM
I liked it and my midwife who did my homebirth, very naturally minded recommended it. She said in the last five years she's only taken out a handful because of adverse effects, and she put it in hundreds. Usually only took them out when couples wanted to conceive.
Decemberlov
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:04 PM
I always felt awful when dh would get stabbed by that thing. I could tell it was incredibly painful.

I did ok on it for the first 3 years or so, besides weight gain. after that though I got terrible acne, headaches, arthritis like symptoms, horrible back pain, cramps... all of which went away almost immediately after I got it removed!

Quoting melindabelcher:

I hated the mirena! 

Intercourse was miserable for DH. Nothing like the feeling of being stabbed in the penis head with every penetration.

I had bleeding on and off for months! 10 months to be exact. 

I have no idea what our birth control choice will be after this baby but i don't forsee going back to the Mirena ever. 

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 1:16 AM
I have had the Mirena and now have the Paraguard IUD. Of all bc, this was the one I am most comfortable with. I accept the rare side effects (pregnancy to infertility) and am comfortable with them.

The placement is uncomfortable. Once it is done, however, it is totally amazing. If it is improperly placed it is uncomfortable and can be painful and you will know immediately. I recommend the IUD.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)