Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

38 weeks and baby is breeched. Help!

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:38 AM
  • 23 Replies

So I am 38 weeks and 3 days and as of 5 days ago my baby is (still) in the frank breech position.  I have literally tried everything to get him to flip.  I want to do a completely natural, vaginal birth but if he is still breeched by 39 weeks my Dr. recommends I just go ahead and schedule the C-section.  So that gives me 5 days to get this baby flipped to avoid the c-section!!

I have done pretty much everything; the knee to chest inversion, pelvic tilt (too uncomfortable to do thought), handstands in pool, swimming, homeopathy pulsatilla pills, music, chiropractor, and currently I have gone and seen a acupuncturist twice and am doing the moxibustion 1-2x a day.

Has anyone had any similar issues with a breeched baby?  Or tried the moxibustion this late in the game and had success with it?  I'm trying to hang on the last glimmer of hope here. 

by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never had a breech. Have you checked out spinningbabies.com for ideas?

DON'T schedule a 39 week c section if you don't want one! Baby can turn all the way up into labor. Tell your doctor you're going to wait until labor starts naturally to consent to a c section. Hopefully baby will turn before you're in labor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mychinababy
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
This is a great answer. I also wouldn't schedule a c/s but would wait until I'm in labor before anything is decided. I also had someone in my birth group who delivered a breech baby with no problems. It can be done it's just hard finding an ob experienced enough to take the challenge. Good luck!

Quoting larissalarie: I've never had a breech. Have you checked out spinningbabies.com for ideas?

DON'T schedule a 39 week c section if you don't want one! Baby can turn all the way up into labor. Tell your doctor you're going to wait until labor starts naturally to consent to a c section. Hopefully baby will turn before you're in labor.
melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:18 PM

frank breech can be delivered vaginally. I wouldn't consent to a c-section. 

lancet98
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I have a suggestion.

Have the doc turn it around when you have your cesarean.

jamamama00
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:33 PM
None of mine flipped until literally the last minute. One while I was dilated to a four or something like that. I don't know why docs say they won't flip after X date. So not true. With my last I was getting worried and I did the upside down in the pool trick and she flipped the next day. I don't want to say the trick worked because she was probably going to turn anyway...but who knows..
BradleysMom2014
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:35 PM

I heard something about a lady using ice packs in a thread....

I have no clue other than that

momofthree3708
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:35 PM
My son was breech towards the end of my pregnancy . The doctor talked about physically turning him (sounded painful) he also recommended getting on my knees and arching my back (doggy style position) so I did that every night for about 20 minutes, and one day, it just felt different, my little guy turned around just in time for labor!
SrkStrickland
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM

It IS painful. Its horrid and only works some of the time (not very often at all) and certainly didn't for me. It just left me winded, scared, bruised and cut up from their fingernails.

Quoting momofthree3708: My son was breech towards the end of my pregnancy . The doctor talked about physically turning him (sounded painful) he also recommended getting on my knees and arching my back (doggy style position) so I did that every night for about 20 minutes, and one day, it just felt different, my little guy turned around just in time for labor!

SrkStrickland
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM

That's amazing to hear! I've always been afraid of having another breech because it was the reason I had my first and only c-section (before I knew any better and thought the doctor knew best). But my midwives assured me that they've seen babies flip in labor many times. Even so, I would deliver a breech if it didn't, lol, but that's just me.

I agree with the others on NOT planning a csection. This is just more reason right here that you should wait until labor begins on it's own. Anything can happen :)

Quoting jamamama00: None of mine flipped until literally the last minute. One while I was dilated to a four or something like that. I don't know why docs say they won't flip after X date. So not true. With my last I was getting worried and I did the upside down in the pool trick and she flipped the next day. I don't want to say the trick worked because she was probably going to turn anyway...but who knows..

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Same. I would do all you can, but breech is another variation of normal. You can also start looking for another provider if you're unhappy with the one you have.

Quoting melindabelcher:

frank breech can be delivered vaginally. I wouldn't consent to a c-section. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)