Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

quick help ladies-the purple line

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

So as of friday I had a VA that said I am 2cm, curious I wanted to know what ways I could figure out my dilation without doing another VA well then I hae discovered the Purple Line that appears up the lower back. 

Curious I asked my husband to see if such a thing exsisted..yes...so next question is well how do you compare the purple line to the dilation of the cervix{example I know I was at 2cm how many cm os the purple line equals to that, or more?}

by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bamamommy2009
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:31 PM

BUMP!

Mandy270429
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM
A little confused lol! ... My midwife taught me how to check for dilation ... But with my first the last 3 months my mucus plug kept coming out and I walked around at 5 cm dilated til birth and I made it to 40 weeks he was born on his due date ;) my 2nd I also again walked around dilated to but to 4cm for months 7&8 and was dilated to a 6 my last month! I was always so worried but I did everything the same ... My midwife said it wasn't a big deal as long as there were no contractions ...my second was born at 37 weeks
spitfire06
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Dialation isn't accurate to say when baby will get here:)
bamamommy2009
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:43 PM

well i didn't want to do a internal exam if I could help it, so when I researched it i found that apparently as you dilate there is a purple line that begins at the anus and travels up the back{like a mercury in a themomater} until you reach 10 cm. I am just curious if anyone else had seen this and also if they could explain how to compare the length of the line to the dilation of the cervix 

Quoting Mandy270429: A little confused lol! ... My midwife taught me how to check for dilation ... But with my first the last 3 months my mucus plug kept coming out and I walked around at 5 cm dilated til birth and I made it to 40 weeks he was born on his due date ;) my 2nd I also again walked around dilated to but to 4cm for months 7&8 and was dilated to a 6 my last month! I was always so worried but I did everything the same ... My midwife said it wasn't a big deal as long as there were no contractions ...my second was born at 37 weeks

Mandy270429
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Interesting I've actually never heard of that hmmm idk let me know if you see it lol!

Quoting bamamommy2009:

well i didn't want to do a internal exam if I could help it, so when I researched it i found that apparently as you dilate there is a purple line that begins at the anus and travels up the back{like a mercury in a themomater} until you reach 10 cm. I am just curious if anyone else had seen this and also if they could explain how to compare the length of the line to the dilation of the cervix 

Quoting Mandy270429: A little confused lol! ... My midwife taught me how to check for dilation ... But with my first the last 3 months my mucus plug kept coming out and I walked around at 5 cm dilated til birth and I made it to 40 weeks he was born on his due date ;) my 2nd I also again walked around dilated to but to 4cm for months 7&8 and was dilated to a 6 my last month! I was always so worried but I did everything the same ... My midwife said it wasn't a big deal as long as there were no contractions ...my second was born at 37 weeks

bamamommy2009
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:59 PM

may have found the info looking for:

http://www.scienceandsensibility.org/?p=5547&cpage=2#comment-240585

"Practising Midwife Magazine presented a graphic which I have attempted to recreate here.  Basically as the baby descends, a red/purplish (or perhaps brown depending on skin color) line creeps up from the anus to the top of the natal cleft in between the bottom cheeks.  When the line reaches the top of the natal cleft, 2nd stage is probably a matter of minutes away.  A line sitting an inch below the natal cleft is probably in transition.  A line just above the anus probably signifies early labor."

melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

No experience but good luck :)

Dialation just tells you your body is preparing i walked around 80% effaced and 4cm dialated for over a week. 

We decided not to be checked with any future pregnancies it's really not beneficial or means anything, so pretty useless and carries risks. 

MamaBearEH
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:14 AM

I'm with Melinda on this one... since you can be dialated for some time & not be ready for labour I don't see the point checking.  Never heard of the purple line before either, but I just might be looking at my butt this time to see if it's there!

micheledo
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I have heard a lot about that. I thought it was equal to your dilation. 1 cm = 1 cm. I don't know that I get that line, but I also don't get the dark line from my belly button. That's cool that your husband could see it!!
SrkStrickland
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I walked around at 5 cm for several weeks with my 3rd! The hospital was actually about to send me home at 5 cm when I was in actual labor because I wasn't dilating any more, until my water broke, lol.

This is very interesting though! I've never heard of it either! I might just be looking at my butt too out of curiosity, LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)