Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Childbirth Education Classes

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM
  • 8 Replies
Did you take any?

I am currently a HypnoBirthing instructor. I love it, but there are some things I don't totally agree with and some things I think are missing. I just want to know what classes you've taken and what you liked and didn't like about them.
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MamaBearEH
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I've taken prenatal classes from the hospital, and maternity group I was with.  I highly recommend against those unless you're not looking to discuss/learn anything, and just want to be pat on the back for choosing to be drugged when the doctor tells you it's an emergency to remove the baby.  The most educational point they made was that the baby comes out of your vagina, and then quickly moved on as it was not appropriate to show or go into detail as we would be frightened.  Yet there were twenty minute discussions on how great mother's felt after getting their morphine shots.  I was thoroughly disgusted that the facilitator, the head nurse in a well respected provincial training facility, actually thought this approach benefit anyone other than the hospitals.  Lots of false information presented in order to benefit the hospital's convenience over the mother & child as well.  That really irked me a lot.  I also didn't like how when I inquired about my rights as a patient questions were only answered with you have no choice but to do XYZ as that's what the hospital policy is.  Unfortunately that is not the case.  For example standard policy may be antibiotic eye ointment, however you're fully within your legal rights to refuse it.

I've also taken prenatal classes put on by my doula, and would highly recommend them.  They were friendly, interactive, thought provoking, educational, and really well rounded.  They didn't promote natural birthing or medical deliveries.  They told you about how birthing works, what effects it, what your choices are, and helped you understand what to expect from those choices.  Since my doula was there we also got to work with her prior to the birth, which was awesome.  They asked for a lot of participant feedback, and really worked to ensure that the people currently present in the group had their needs fulfilled in preparing for birth.

I've never taken a specific method class like Hypnobirthing.  I think that I would if my SO wasn't away working all the time though.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 9:14 PM
This pregnancy we took Bradley Method classes. I can say nothing but good things about this class and what it teaches. It talks a lot about relaxing during labor and having the husband/birth partner coach you through the whole process.
melindabelcher
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I'm taking a Blissborn class and i like it so far. 

MamaBearEH
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:14 AM

What is that?

Quoting melindabelcher:

I'm taking a Blissborn class and i like it so far. 

brlk
by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I had a private doula come to my home before my first child was born. Helpful I guess because she walked me thru every possible scenario, pros and cons of various options and gave some tips for breathing, etc. I would have been pissed if I'd wasted several weeks going to group birthing classes.
tameejean
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:47 AM
This is my first and hubs and I started the Bradley Method classes last week. So far I am really glad I chose it :)
HippieMomma08
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be interested in a HyppnoBirthing class.

I never took any with either of my other children. I don't think I will this time. I also didn't have too much anxiety about labor and birth- I was always of the midset that things would just happen naturally.

I can understand for women who are normally planners, or just really nervous about the birth process why it would be nice to have the extra information. Everyone I know that's taken a class always says it went out the window when labor started lol.

whyfie
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM

i never took any classes w/ any of my pregnancies. i figured the class was to teach u how to breathe while in labor. now, i know it should be more than that, but bein that i've already had 4 children i just don't see the need. my breathin & relaxation durin labor works for me.

i did read a lot durin my 1st & learned quite a bit. i learned more while pregnant w/ my 2nd. i watched more videos this last time...still learnin. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN