Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

natural family planning question

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 9:52 PM
  • 12 Replies
Hi I'm new to this group. I have questions about nfp. I think I will try that after my next baby. Would it work if I just tracked my periods in an app, or do I have to track my mucus too?
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 9:57 PM
I'm not sure. Tracking your mucus lets you know that you are ovulating. You're able to tell when you start and when you finish ovulating.
4girlsmum
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM
For nfp just tracking periods does NOT work, you have take a daily temp first thing every morning to see when O is going to occur......mucus alone is unreliable....it has been a while since I did it, but as soon as temp starts to go up and when it hits peak and then several days after you must protect or abstain.
lovinglife1622
by New Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM
OK thank you

Quoting somuchlove4U: I'm not sure. Tracking your mucus lets you know that you are ovulating. You're able to tell when you start and when you finish ovulating.
lovinglife1622
by New Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Ok, thanks for the information. It sounds like a lot of effort. When you were doing it did it just become a routine, or was it a hassle

Quoting 4girlsmum: For nfp just tracking periods does NOT work, you have take a daily temp first thing every morning to see when O is going to occur......mucus alone is unreliable....it has been a while since I did it, but as soon as temp starts to go up and when it hits peak and then several days after you must protect or abstain.
4girlsmum
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Quoting lovinglife1622: Ok, thanks for the information. It sounds like a lot of effort. When you were doing it did it just become a routine, or was it a hassle

Quoting 4girlsmum: For nfp just tracking periods does NOT work, you have take a daily temp first thing every morning to see when O is going to occur......mucus alone is unreliable....it has been a while since I did it, but as soon as temp starts to go up and when it hits peak and then several days after you must protect or abstain.

It became routine, i had thermomter and chart in nightstand so I could do it before getting up....it has to be before u get out of bed, and temp is taken vaginally....a good quick thermometer so if u have to get up fast u are not sitting there waiting for the beep.....
TheMeanestMom
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:28 AM
Relying on period alone is about 60% effective...add in temping and checking mucous and it's 99%+ .

I use ovuview app and I love it!
lovinglife1622
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:58 AM
OK thank you

Quoting TheMeanestMom: Relying on period alone is about 60% effective...add in temping and checking mucous and it's 99%+ .

I use ovuview app and I love it!
SrkStrickland
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this

It is a lot of effort. Temping alone isn't the most accurate either because anything can effect it, such as if you'd just gotten up to pee recently, or if you're sick. And it takes a few months to see a pattern with your temps to tell when you ovulate. It's best to chart temp, cervical mucus and cervical position for it to be most effective. And even then anything can throw it off.

There is a theory that sometimes something can happen to make your body gear up to ovulate but then it doesn't release an egg(stress or an illness can be factors). So you will think you've ovulated and you're safe for the rest of the month, but what happens is your body will try again later (usually about a week) and then that's when the egg actually gets released and then OOPS, lol. It happened to me when I got pregnant with my 4th. Thankfully though I was charting to GET pregnant so I was glad I caught it, lol.

NFP isn't for everyone. It does require more effort than what people think. It works well for me and I prefer it since I've had so many problems with other forms of birth control. But it can be more work than some people would like. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

tairakittie
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I used fertilityfriend.com and took my temp orally, worked for me for 11 months before we had a miscommunication while on vacation. lol He is now 7 weeks old. Im breastfeeding so I'll pick up temping again once my cycle returns, in the meantime we have to use condoms every time.
lovinglife1622
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Thank you, it sounds like it is more work than I thought.  I don't know if I trust myself to do it accurately enough.  I just have had problems with hormones

Quoting SrkStrickland:

It is a lot of effort. Temping alone isn't the most accurate either because anything can effect it, such as if you'd just gotten up to pee recently, or if you're sick. And it takes a few months to see a pattern with your temps to tell when you ovulate. It's best to chart temp, cervical mucus and cervical position for it to be most effective. And even then anything can throw it off.

There is a theory that sometimes something can happen to make your body gear up to ovulate but then it doesn't release an egg(stress or an illness can be factors). So you will think you've ovulated and you're safe for the rest of the month, but what happens is your body will try again later (usually about a week) and then that's when the egg actually gets released and then OOPS, lol. It happened to me when I got pregnant with my 4th. Thankfully though I was charting to GET pregnant so I was glad I caught it, lol.

NFP isn't for everyone. It does require more effort than what people think. It works well for me and I prefer it since I've had so many problems with other forms of birth control. But it can be more work than some people would like. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)