Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Uterus measuring off??

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

I keep seeing everywhere that my uterus should just now be right above my pubic bone (13 weeks) but at my last appointment (10 weeks) my midwife taught me how to feel for mine and showed me where it was and it was almost up to my belly button! She didn't seem suprised or concerned at all so I just shrugged it off too, but the more I see it written where it SHOULD be the more curious I get. I know it can grow faster in subsequent pregnancies but THAT much faster? Anyone else experience this? Or know anything about it?

by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Eh, fundal height isn't accurate until around 20 weeks, but even then it can be effected by lots of things like when you last ate/drank, when you last urinated/bm, how much fluid, your position, your baby's position, placenta position, number of pregnancies, heredity, how toned your were prepregnancy, when your last orgasm was, etc. I wouldn't pay any mind to it, yet, and not too much to it later.
micheledo
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I wouldn't be concerned.  They usually don't start measuring until later - maybe because the early measurements are so inaccurate?? 

SrkStrickland
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:53 PM

WOW! That's amazing!! And good to know, lol. Thank you! :)

Quoting MaryJarrett: Eh, fundal height isn't accurate until around 20 weeks, but even then it can be effected by lots of things like when you last ate/drank, when you last urinated/bm, how much fluid, your position, your baby's position, placenta position, number of pregnancies, heredity, how toned your were prepregnancy, when your last orgasm was, etc. I wouldn't pay any mind to it, yet, and not too much to it later.

melindabelcher
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Exactly! 

Mine was well out of the pelvis much earlier then its "supposed" to be. And here i am at 33 weeks measuring two weeks behind. lol

Quoting MaryJarrett: Eh, fundal height isn't accurate until around 20 weeks, but even then it can be effected by lots of things like when you last ate/drank, when you last urinated/bm, how much fluid, your position, your baby's position, placenta position, number of pregnancies, heredity, how toned your were prepregnancy, when your last orgasm was, etc. I wouldn't pay any mind to it, yet, and not too much to it later.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:33 AM
My last baby i was consistantly measuring 2 weeks behind, and she was a tiny baby and born two weeks before her edd. I dont think its something to be concerned about.
SrkStrickland
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I asked my midwife at my appointment last night and she said it's normal when you've been pregnant as many times as I have, lol :)

whyfie
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:11 PM

my fundal height was higher than it was supposed to be w/ my most recent pregnancy. my mw said it was expected cuz it was my 5th pregnancy. i was only interested in the height cuz i thought i may be farther along @ 1st.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN