Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Home Birthing Supplies

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:41 PM
  • 9 Replies

We are looking forward to doing a home birth this time, because we're too far away from the birthing center.  I know my midwife will likely give us a list closer to our due date, but I'd like to start getting prepared now as winter driving this far North is unpredictable.  Supplies also might be hard to come by being out in the boons!  For those of you that have done home births before, particularly unassisted, what did you have in your supply kit?  What's a must have, nice perk / optional, or unnecessary?

by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ELKmountain.mom
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM
We ordered ours from In his Hands birth supply. My midwife has a kit already special ordered through them we buy but they offer basic/deluxe kits with standard needs. I think they would be a great start. I didn't used half the stuff on the "have ready" list for my last birth but you never know what you will need. I basically needed a few towels, tub, yoga ball, baby supplies for birth, herbal bath and a couple "pee pads" while I was on the ball.
However the kits come with things for baby, herbal baths etc
StaciF
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM
I got a bunch of my stuff from a dollar store - big plastic/vinyl table clothes to layer between old sheets on the bed or as floor coverings, peroxide to clean up any blood on things like carpet or whatever, smAll bottle of EVOO if you wanna do perineal massage or at the end as head is coming out with a warm compress. Then from walmart or target I got depends, chucks and some cheap wash clothes and towels. Then whatever you want for after baby. Also had Old Tupperware to store/freeze placenta in and snacks like trail mix and fruit and juice and water to hydrate with. You can wet an overnight pad and out it in the freezer to use right after birth for swelling. I'm sure there's more but that's what I remember!!
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:52 PM
I'd rather custom make things due to my insane allergies.

So far good though, cause I have all that stuff other than plastic covering. Do you think the waterproof mattress covers are sufficient? Not to worried about the floor cause we have no carpet, and in some areas like bedroom no floor even! Lol! Also what's EVOO?

And humor me here... but what do you do about the cord? I expect my midwife will have proper tools, but if she doesn't make it here how do you deal with that?
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 12:19 AM
I didn't need much for the actual birth. Chux pads and towels for the floor, warm blankets for baby, and a cup with straw to keep me hydrated.

For after the birth a peri bottle was a must and cramp bark tincture for after pains was amazing.

My midwife had clamps and scissors for the cord but if she did not make it in time I would just not cut until she did get there. There is no rush. However if you're thinking she may not get there at all them you may want clamps and sterile scissors. I could upload my midwife's birth supply list if you are curious but I didn't use everything.
melindabelcher
by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 10:42 AM

in his hands is where i was looking to order stuff. 

My midwife says all i really need is about 30 of those waterproof pads for labor, delivery, postpartum but some moms are able to return one of the packages unopened. A some extra virgin olive oil for mom during delivery and baby after birth to help the meconium not stick, and a waterproof liner to put under the old sheet but above the clean sheet so the bed is already made for labor and post partum. (she said dollar tree has a flannel backed table cloth that doesn't slide. But it should be opened and aired out in advanced or it has a really strong plastic smell. 

You'll need a bowl for the placenta, towels, pillows. I love my yoga/birth ball. 

If you are interested in a water birth many find it helpful to throw a couple towels down on the floor there as well. 

MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Midwife is expecting a 3hr labour this time, so if she isn't already here she is missing it & I don't think waiting a day for her to arrive would be ok. Where could I get a clamp and scissors good enough? Think they'd have at a pharmacy?

I had a water birth last time at the birthing center. We just have a regular tub, so that should be interesting.

Now that you mention table cloth I'm thinking I could actually just get a shower curtain for the bed. Then I can reuse it and it doesn't have to be made of vinyl! That stuff is smelly from the chemicals it leeches into the air.
StaciF
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:41 PM

waterproof mattress covers would work - but if you get blood on them they might just get stained - that's the only reason i got the table clothes - i bought like 5 for $5 dollars and only used a couple.  But basically just something waterproof for your bed so if you labor on it and your water breaks, etc or birth on it then you can either wash or toss it.  EVOO is extra virgin olive oil :)  My midwife brought her stuff but i'm sure you could cut it with a good pair of scissors - it's pretty tough so just make sure they're sharp.  You could use anything really to tie off the cord too.  I mean heck I have chip clips that clamp the same way the cord clamps do.  You could tie it off with string or floss once it stops pulsating.  just tie it off a good ways from the baby and then again a few inches down then cut between the two ties.  midwife can make it pretty once she arrives if she missed it.  I mean honestly - if i'ts not going to be hours till she gets there - you dont have to cut the cord.  You can deliver the placenta and everything still attached to baby if you wanted.  People do that and wait till it naturally falls off from baby - called a lotus birth :)

Quoting MamaBearEH: I'd rather custom make things due to my insane allergies. So far good though, cause I have all that stuff other than plastic covering. Do you think the waterproof mattress covers are sufficient? Not to worried about the floor cause we have no carpet, and in some areas like bedroom no floor even! Lol! Also what's EVOO? And humor me here... but what do you do about the cord? I expect my midwife will have proper tools, but if she doesn't make it here how do you deal with that?

MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Olive oil... Ha... Can I claim pregnancy brain on that one? Lol.

I can get blood stains out no problem. Just worried about leakage, because I'm not sure how good the waterproof actually is. I guess better safe than sorry though.

I was totally thinking chip clips too. String actually sounds better though strength wise. Great ideas. It would be a minimum of 8hrs with winter driving if she isn't already here. It's realistically something we might face, so I definitely want to be prepared just in case.

I delivered the placenta before cutting last time, but no lotus birth. I'd rather encapsulate again if I can find someone up here. Those were my little miracle pills. I never had any after birth pains before at all.

Quoting StaciF:

waterproof mattress covers would work - but if you get blood on them they might just get stained - that's the only reason i got the table clothes - i bought like 5 for $5 dollars and only used a couple.  But basically just something waterproof for your bed so if you labor on it and your water breaks, etc or birth on it then you can either wash or toss it.  EVOO is extra virgin olive oil :)  My midwife brought her stuff but i'm sure you could cut it with a good pair of scissors - it's pretty tough so just make sure they're sharp.  You could use anything really to tie off the cord too.  I mean heck I have chip clips that clamp the same way the cord clamps do.  You could tie it off with string or floss once it stops pulsating.  just tie it off a good ways from the baby and then again a few inches down then cut between the two ties.  midwife can make it pretty once she arrives if she missed it.  I mean honestly - if i'ts not going to be hours till she gets there - you dont have to cut the cord.  You can deliver the placenta and everything still attached to baby if you wanted.  People do that and wait till it naturally falls off from baby - called a lotus birth :)

Quoting MamaBearEH: I'd rather custom make things due to my insane allergies.

So far good though, cause I have all that stuff other than plastic covering. Do you think the waterproof mattress covers are sufficient? Not to worried about the floor cause we have no carpet, and in some areas like bedroom no floor even! Lol! Also what's EVOO?

And humor me here... but what do you do about the cord? I expect my midwife will have proper tools, but if she doesn't make it here how do you deal with that?

StaciF
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Sounds like you have a great plan then!!! And yes - olive oil we will blame on prego brain :). If you have time grab some cheap table cloths - if you can get them for a $1 might as well grab a few! And the blue chucks were good to have for an extra layer if you can get some of those. I'm excited for you!!

Quoting MamaBearEH: Olive oil... Ha... Can I claim pregnancy brain on that one? Lol.

I can get blood stains out no problem. Just worried about leakage, because I'm not sure how good the waterproof actually is. I guess better safe than sorry though.

I was totally thinking chip clips too. String actually sounds better though strength wise. Great ideas. It would be a minimum of 8hrs with winter driving if she isn't already here. It's realistically something we might face, so I definitely want to be prepared just in case.

I delivered the placenta before cutting last time, but no lotus birth. I'd rather encapsulate again if I can find someone up here. Those were my little miracle pills. I never had any after birth pains before at all.

Quoting StaciF:

Quoting MamaBearEH: I'd rather custom make things due to my insane allergies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN