Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Home Births are illegal in my state?!?!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:08 AM
  • 38 Replies

So I really wanted to deliver my son in my home, my midwife informed me that she would be arrested if she attended a home birth.  Are you kidding me?!?!  We have NO birthing centers, No breastfeeding friendly hospitals (everyone gets sent home with formula) So I had him in a hospital where I was forced into having an IV and I had to labor on my back I was also told I HAD to have pitocin after I gave birth.  I cried because I was so disappointed in the whole experience. Its been a year and I'm still upset on how I was treated and forced to have my baby.  I either need to move before I have another baby...or something needs to change!

by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:23 AM
Move or become an advocate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 3:02 AM
If you live in Alabama you can join the birth coalition, I believe that's what it's called.
GoldenLinds
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 3:03 AM
I moved to have my home birth. I actually know several people who did.
mychinababy
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 3:17 AM
I have a friend that lives in a state that it is illegal. It's actually illegal here in china as well. You know it's not illegal to have an accident at home though :) that's what I'll be doing with my next one. I'm SICK of hospitals.
jacquie85
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2014 at 11:51 PM

It's illegal here in North Carolina too. I live 20 minutes from South Carolina where it is legal which is crap. Anyway  I am having a homebirth and we have kinda had to cover our tracks. 

Bookoholic
by Member on Oct. 21, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Not illegal in Washington state, but because of all my health problems in going to naturally have my baby in a hospital, and with a doula.
TadpoleMomma
by on Oct. 22, 2014 at 12:05 AM

What states made it illegal??

Precious333
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2014 at 12:58 AM
Wow! Is n.c. really strict with everything? I hear they regulate homeschooling more than most states as well.

Quoting jacquie85:

It's illegal here in North Carolina too. I live 20 minutes from South Carolina where it is legal which is crap. Anyway  I am having a homebirth and we have kinda had to cover our tracks. 

MommyCassafrass
by Member on Oct. 22, 2014 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

So not only is it illegal I also found out that you have to labor on your back, must have an IV when you are admitted and pitocin  after the baby is born if you didn't have it before.  My midwife also told me that if she were to attend a home birth she'll be arrested.  Crazy stuff when a momma can't birth her baby the way she wants. My next one will be an "Accident"  I don't think we will make it to the hospital in time. 

HazelBug
by Member on Oct. 22, 2014 at 4:26 PM
It's not illegal in my state. But midwifes are hard to find. I chose to go unasisted because my only options were a hospital that has a very high c-section rate or the terrible midwife I would never hire again. And I had a great birth. I was able to labor how I wanted and had no pressure for interventions.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN