Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel violated - VENT

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:16 PM
  • 2 Replies

My upstairs neighbor cleans her house nearlly everyday with some foul ammonia/bleach smelling concoction.  I know this because when she dumps out the dirty mop water it comes up MY drain, filling my sink with about 2 inches of sudsy, dirty water.  She then proceeds to dump even MORE water off her balcony, the dirty toxic-smelling water dripping right in front of my open windows, infiltrating my whole apartment with the smell  Each time she does it I feel very dizzy from the smell and my baby starts coughing. .  

Of course being crunchy I use only organic cleaners, vinegar, baking soda, lemon and etc to clean my house and was very annoyed.  I coudln't talk to my neighbor as she speaks onlly Spanish and it is also rumored by my other Spanish-speaker neighbors (who do speak English) that she has early dementia.  So I called my landlady to hopefully have the problem resolved.  Well they snaked my drain and supposedly spoke with my neighbor about how dumping dirty water off teh balcony was not appropriate.  

Well, since then this neighbor has been giving me the cold shoulder and stink eye, though she not only continues to dump water off her balcony, but also down her drain and it still comes up my sink.  The guy has been out again to snake the drain but the problem persists.  To top it off, today she actually dumped the water all over my front steps, where I like to sit with the baby sometimes, and also making the steps very slippery and a hazard. WTF?  It is like she is taking it personally that I don't want my apartment to smell like toxins.

Am I being unreasonable?  My landlady doesn't seem to care anymore, like she's done all she can do?  What would you do?  Can I get out of my lease for this? Money is tight and I would need my sec. deposit back

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
sjk_maybe_mom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
You should talk to a tenant's rights lawyer. You have a right to quiet enjoyment of your property, and, depending on your state and lease, your landlord likely has an obligation to provide you with the same. Most states or cities have local bar associations with referral programs at reduced cost and/or pro bono programs for no cost representation for those who meet certain income requirements.

You could also call your local building/health and safety department. They may have a way to help too, since you and your LO are being exposed to chemicals.

Good luck.
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:34 PM

This exactly.  You're not being unreasonable at all.

Quoting sjk_maybe_mom: You should talk to a tenant's rights lawyer. You have a right to quiet enjoyment of your property, and, depending on your state and lease, your landlord likely has an obligation to provide you with the same. Most states or cities have local bar associations with referral programs at reduced cost and/or pro bono programs for no cost representation for those who meet certain income requirements. You could also call your local building/health and safety department. They may have a way to help too, since you and your LO are being exposed to chemicals. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)