Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

essential oils for labor

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:19 PM
  • 2 Replies
We are expecting, and are about 6 weeks away from our due date. I am wanting to try to go without pain meds this time around. My forst two I had epidurals, second two IV meds. I was reading that essential oils can do wonders during labor and delivery. Just looking for info on how they are most beneficial and what scents are most effective. Will gladly accept any other advice that can help me with beong successful at having a natural birth, when we head to the hospital. Thank you!
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Juniper53098
by June - admin on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:46 PM

There are lots of things you can do to have a natural birth.  First, think of contractions as rushes or waves instead of labor and pain.  Realize that they have a PURPOSE.  Learn how to relax your body.  You can use things like hypnobirthing, breathing exercizes, meditation, music, bath or shower, etc.  Find what works for YOU to relax and USE IT.  The more relaxed you are, the less uncomfortable it will be.  Move around when you feel the need.  Be open to changing positions during labor.  If your dr wants you flat on your back, start looking for someone new as this makes it MUCH more difficult.  It actually reduces the size of the pelvic opening.

I don't know much about essential oils in birth, so can't help with that. 

MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I had some essential oils in my birthing kit, but these were really not essential parts of having natural births for me either time.  Like June said... it's more about positive thinking, believing in yourself, having a positive/secure birthing environment, breathing, visualization, meditation, proactive prenatal care, and FREEDOM from restrictions.  If you want a natural birth I would recommend a midwife who attends births outside of a hospital.

Here is a blog article you might find interesting on essential oils during labour.  I had peppermint, myrrh and frankincense.

Read our weekly pregnancy journal for...
27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 3334 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | BIRTH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)