Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

water birth experiences?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:42 PM
  • 13 Replies

What are your water birth experiences, do you think soaking in warm water helps not to tear? Also does it really help with some of the pain? My labors are fast I wanted a water birth or at least labor the last baby but i had prodromal labor and had to be on pitocin so they wont let you in the water because they have to monitor the baby. I had been having labor pains and progressing for a few days and it was so slow i was literally out and about at a 7 ad 90% effaced lol. it was nuts my midwife was like, "we need to check you in to the L&D because if your contractions suddenly pick up you may have a baby wherever you are at" LOL! So we did pit for an hour or 2 then took it off then broke water, had 4 insane contractions (was a sped up version of transition and really intense) and baby was out..midwife wasn't even in the room haha

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a partial water birth and it was wonderful. It did help give me that weightless floating feeling. I did have a hard time finding the right spot, once I found it it didn't matter anyways cause baby's head was coming out lol.
HazelBug
by Member on Oct. 12, 2015 at 6:19 AM
I spent most of both my labors in the tub. The water helps a great deal! I eventually chose to birth out of the tub. But I think soaking in the water did help prevent tearing and relaxing the area.
mostlymaydays
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2015 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I had 3 water births. I would never do it any other way. On land, I tensed with the contractions; in the water I did not it felt so much better in was afraid I wasn't in enough pain to be progressing. With my 4th baby, second water birth, I was stuck at 5cm for a few hours and they were afraid I'd stall out in the water but after they let me in, I had a baby in arms in a half hour. I can't think of any negative to the water birth.
PlanetSoul
by New Member on Oct. 17, 2015 at 8:13 PM
I had a water birth and have nothing else to compare it to. I'm so glad I was in the tub though, it helped with contractions immensely and was so soothing. I was able to float and feel weightless. My doula poured water down my back when I would have contractions, which was really nice. I only had a small labial tear after birthing. I could not imagine giving birth on land.
strawberryLVR
by Member on Oct. 18, 2015 at 4:49 PM

what temp do you put the water at?

Quoting mostlymaydays: I had 3 water births. I would never do it any other way. On land, I tensed with the contractions; in the water I did not it felt so much better in was afraid I wasn't in enough pain to be progressing. With my 4th baby, second water birth, I was stuck at 5cm for a few hours and they were afraid I'd stall out in the water but after they let me in, I had a baby in arms in a half hour. I can't think of any negative to the water birth.

strawberryLVR
by Member on Oct. 18, 2015 at 4:50 PM

What temp do you put the water at?

Quoting PlanetSoul: I had a water birth and have nothing else to compare it to. I'm so glad I was in the tub though, it helped with contractions immensely and was so soothing. I was able to float and feel weightless. My doula poured water down my back when I would have contractions, which was really nice. I only had a small labial tear after birthing. I could not imagine giving birth on land.

AnotherKim
by on Oct. 18, 2015 at 4:54 PM

For the most part I liked mine. It doesn' magically take the pain away (darn it), but it helped me to relax. The one problem I had was that I was too buoyant in the water and had a hard time finding traction for pushing.

melindabelcher
by on Oct. 18, 2015 at 5:55 PM
I didn't have a set temperature it was what felt comfortable to me. It was nice and warm and cozy
PlanetSoul
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2015 at 6:52 PM
No idea, the midwife and student midwife took care of that. I was at a birth center. It was very warm but not too warm where I was too hot. Just right.

Quoting strawberryLVR:

What temp do you put the water at?

Quoting PlanetSoul: I had a water birth and have nothing else to compare it to. I'm so glad I was in the tub though, it helped with contractions immensely and was so soothing. I was able to float and feel weightless. My doula poured water down my back when I would have contractions, which was really nice. I only had a small labial tear after birthing. I could not imagine giving birth on land.

MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2015 at 7:42 PM

Both of my natural births were water-ish, and I'd go for another if I ever have more children.

First experience I laboured out at the farm, and moving around wasn't doing it for me.  I knew things were progressing fast, but my midwife wanted me to take a bath & relax for a while before coming in.  Being in the bath I could just breathe through things, but outside was very uncomfortable.  When I got to the birthing center I stayed in the birthing tub the entire time, except for a short period of time on all fours to help dilate then back ib the tub.  My labour was about 7 hours from first contraction to birth of my daughter in the tub.  I had no complications including tearing.  Baby was 7lbs 8 oz and 19.75 inches.

Second experience I was in our hotel room, and once I decided I was in labour I hit the shower until my SO got the pool setup.  The running water was very comforting physically and mentally.  I stayed there and kept it going the entire time.  My labour was about 1 hour from first contraction until birth of my daughter in the shower.  The only complication I had was needing a dozen stitches afterwards for a 2nd degree tear, I think, which I wouldn't have noticed if my midwife didn't attend me after.  I was in no pain what-so-ever.  Baby was 8 lbs 10 oz and 19.75 inches.

Have a signficant other that's away most of the time due to work?
Join me in HARDLY THERE, and meet other mothers who can relate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)