Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pushing

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM
  • 13 Replies

If you had a natural vaginal birth- no medications at all, how long did you push? How big was baby? 

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:10 PM
Hello. My 2nd and third I pushed for at least an hour. My 4th pooped out in 3 pushes, which shocked me. I was never focused on how long in would push. I always just allowed my body to do the pushing and not forcing anything. It paid off because I didn't need any sort of stitching.
Precious333
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:11 PM
Oh and the sizes. My second was 7lbs 14 oz, third was 8 lbs 5oz and my 4th was only 5 lbs 12oz
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
You've posted this question in several groups, so hopefully this will help you with what you're looking for. Size doesn't really matter. What does matter is position of mother (get off your back) and proper position of baby. And obviously, that you are able to push affectively, ie: No drugs interfering with sensation. My last and biggest baby (9 and a half lbs) was my fastest pushing phase
guppysown
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Well I was disappointed with the amount of traffic the posts were getting in some of these groups. I was looking to get a variety of answers. 

In the book I'm reading featuring many birth stories, the women are reporting pushing an hour +.  I pushed a maximum of 15 minutes and I was just surprised that so many people posted pushing so long. 

Quoting ceckyl: You've posted this question in several groups, so hopefully this will help you with what you're looking for. Size doesn't really matter. What does matter is position of mother (get off your back) and proper position of baby. And obviously, that you are able to push affectively, ie: No drugs interfering with sensation. My last and biggest baby (9 and a half lbs) was my fastest pushing phase

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:50 PM
If they are first births, that can be pretty normal.

Quoting guppysown:

Well I was disappointed with the amount of traffic the posts were getting in some of these groups. I was looking to get a variety of answers. 

In the book I'm reading featuring many birth stories, the women are reporting pushing an hour +.  I pushed a maximum of 15 minutes and I was just surprised that so many people posted pushing so long. 

Quoting ceckyl: You've posted this question in several groups, so hopefully this will help you with what you're looking for. Size doesn't really matter. What does matter is position of mother (get off your back) and proper position of baby. And obviously, that you are able to push affectively, ie: No drugs interfering with sensation. My last and biggest baby (9 and a half lbs) was my fastest pushing phase

vcory
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:58 PM
1.5 hours with my first and he was 7lbs 14oz and he was born at a birth center 100% natural. I ended up with an epidural with my 2nd because she was a preemie, my water had broken and contractions weren't changing my cervix due to the anti-labor med they'd put me on the week before so pitocin was started. She was 4lbs 11oz and was out in 1 push. I had 1 small tear the first time that didn't need stitching and no tearing the 2nd time.
Precious333
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:35 PM
You know, from what I was taught and found to he true, pushing really isn't scarry at all. With my births 2nd and beyond, I looked forward to pushing. With my first birth pushing was frustrating br cause I had the nurses coaching me when and how to push, but when I just listened to my body and allowed it to do it, it was really awesome ;)

Quoting ceckyl: If they are first births, that can be pretty normal.

Quoting guppysown:

MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:41 AM

I never really had to push, because my body just did its job & expelled my children naturally.  Having a baby is kind of like having a bowel movement.  If your body is working properly you shouldn't have to push or strain to get it out.  Your body has automatic reflexes for that.

kajira
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:46 AM

first baby 3 1/2 hours. he was posterier with a big head n they wouldnt allow me off my back.

baby #2 2 pushes she was born 47 minutes after my water broke.

twins were an emergency csection n they pushed baby a back in so i didnt get to push them out.

my newest baby was 15 minutes n 4 pushes.

victoria0607
by New Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:47 AM
My first I pushed for 2 hrs and she was 7lbs 4 ozs. My second I pushed for about 15 minutes and she was 8lbs 4ozs. My third was one push and he was 10lbs 8ozs. All three were natural with my youngest two being homebirths.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)