Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Ultrasound pro vs con

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2017 at 9:37 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have two kids & I had ultrasounds with both.  I wasn't too concerned the first time, the second a little more.  Now I'm 5wks pregnant & I'm considering skipping them.  I'm concerned they are not safe, I've read they have not been proven to be safe.  I've also read concerns over develpmental delays as well.  I'm not sure there is a downside to skipping them.  I would love you hear what you have done & what you think as well as links to any relevant information.  Thank you

by on Jan. 3, 2017 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Juniper53098
by June - admin on Jan. 3, 2017 at 10:06 PM

I think they do way too many of them now.  I don't think there's anything wrong with completely refusing them.

bmommyx2
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2017 at 10:46 PM

If I do any I will definitly keep it to a minumum 

Quoting Juniper53098:

I think they do way too many of them now.  I don't think there's anything wrong with completely refusing them.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2017 at 11:30 PM
2 moms liked this

With my last three I had homebirths and opted out.  Unless there was cause for concern.  Well, the first homebirht (baby number 5) I was consistently measuring TWELVE weeks ahead.  So we did an ultrasound to find out what was going on.  (TONS of fluid, baby fine).  With my next two we had no reason for concern and did no ultrasounds.  

bmommyx2
by New Member on Jan. 4, 2017 at 2:43 AM

good to know

Quoting micheledo:

With my last three I had homebirths and opted out.  Unless there was cause for concern.  Well, the first homebirht (baby number 5) I was consistently measuring TWELVE weeks ahead.  So we did an ultrasound to find out what was going on.  (TONS of fluid, baby fine).  With my next two we had no reason for concern and did no ultrasounds.  

bmommyx2
by New Member on Jan. 4, 2017 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I know I've read detailed articles on why they are bad, but of course now I can't find them & I don't want to ask anyone I know since I'm keeping this underwraps till I'm farther along.  Sometimes I'm so overloaded with information on this & that I have no way to keep track of it all. 

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2017 at 11:38 AM
You could probably google caution to 3d baby pictures, ultrasounds. The medicl community warms against those things because ultrasound waves actually heat things up and technicians should be properly trained. Their concerns for u professionals using them just shows the dangers. They really don't know the effect
. Many babies try and get away. Several of mine constantly moved away from the wand. It is always seen as cute, oh loom they don't want their picture taken . . . But maybe it doesn't feel good. I mean they warn against heating pads, sauna, and hot baths foe pregnant women!

Quoting bmommyx2:

I know I've read detailed articles on why they are bad, but of course now I can't find them & I don't want to ask anyone I know since I'm keeping this underwraps till I'm farther along.  Sometimes I'm so overloaded with information on this & that I have no way to keep track of it all. 

illogicalkat
by Member on Jan. 4, 2017 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I, personally, would not skip the 20 week anatomy scan. The reason being, they can see things that may need to be addressed at birth - things like organs developing properly, spinal issues, actual medical issues that may require a change to your birth plan. It is performed by a trained technician, who knows how to look and what to look for. For me, the benefits of identifying any potential issues far outweigh the risks of having the ultrasound performed by someone properly trained.

Most of the articles I have read about sonograms being "unsafe", refer to the places at malls and the like, where the technicians are not medical professionals. Places that offer to make you a DVD of your baby moving around, with music, and lots of 3D pictures; places that profess to accurately predict sex at 14 weeks, that sort of thing. 

bmommyx2
by New Member on Jan. 4, 2017 at 1:35 PM

I've read those studies too, but those are not the ones that have me concerned.  I am concerned that Ultrasound has never been thoughly tested or proven safe for unborn babies.  There are studies that show risk to development.  What type of things can show on the 20 wk scan that would alter a birth plan & how common are they?  Thanks

Quoting illogicalkat:

I, personally, would not skip the 20 week anatomy scan. The reason being, they can see things that may need to be addressed at birth - things like organs developing properly, spinal issues, actual medical issues that may require a change to your birth plan. It is performed by a trained technician, who knows how to look and what to look for. For me, the benefits of identifying any potential issues far outweigh the risks of having the ultrasound performed by someone properly trained.

Most of the articles I have read about sonograms being "unsafe", refer to the places at malls and the like, where the technicians are not medical professionals. Places that offer to make you a DVD of your baby moving around, with music, and lots of 3D pictures; places that profess to accurately predict sex at 14 weeks, that sort of thing. 

illogicalkat
by Member on Jan. 4, 2017 at 2:15 PM

None of them are common, but that's the point. If there is something wrong, I want to be prepared to deliver at the hospital with the best team possible. I do not want to waste time on a transfer from home to hospital, or from hospital to hospital. 

They check to make sure the central nervous system (spine and brain) are developing properly. They check to ensure all the organs are present, developing properly, and in the proper place. They check to make sure the heart is working properly. They check to make sure all limbs are present and growing. 

If there's a problem with baby's heart, kidneys, spine, or brain, we would be prepared to address that at birth. Like I said, for me the benefits of knowing my baby is healthy, or being prepared to deal with any issues, far outweigh any potential risks of an ultrasound. 

Quoting bmommyx2:

I've read those studies too, but those are not the ones that have me concerned.  I am concerned that Ultrasound has never been thoughly tested or proven safe for unborn babies.  There are studies that show risk to development.  What type of things can show on the 20 wk scan that would alter a birth plan & how common are they?  Thanks

Quoting illogicalkat:

jjchick75
by Member on Jan. 4, 2017 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

Heart defects are especially concerning to me. I know it doesn't pick up on all of them but it does pick up lots of them and in my opinion knowing ahead of time on things like that is always best. It's just not a risk I would take,

My twins were momos(meaning they shared a sac and a placenta). I had 30 ultrasounds from 13 weeks until they were born at 35 weeks. At 35 weeks the ultrasound showed their placenta was failing and we were able to deliver them and keep them safe and healthy. After my placenta was delivered we were told they wouldn't have survived another week with how damaged it was.

I don't think every woman needs 30 ultrasounds but I do think every woman should at least have an anatomy scan at around 20 weeks.

Quoting illogicalkat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)