Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't even know what to say!

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2008 at 2:15 PM
  • 9 Replies
I am in a MOMS Group in our little town and a member just came back from having her baby. Her husband is a fire fighter so they thought it was necessary it induce the baby. Get this: AT 36 1/2 weeks!
The whole birth story was frightening to listen to but the mom seemed so pleased with the professionals. For example how the nurse said she will have this baby by a certain time in the afternoon no matter what they have to do. Why is that a positive thing. Not only kick the poor thing out almost 4 weeks early they are ready to vacuum her out or cut her out if she doesn't move down the birth canal quickly enough.
And of course the heart rater dropped and they barely avoided a c-section - same old, same old.
But wow, my midwives don't even want to deliver my baby if I go into labor before 38 weeks and this doctor is willing to induce even before 37!

I never know what to say to stuff like that. I just usually make a little remark on how interventions can lead to comlications and drop it from there. I don't want to be preachy and like this mom, lots of moms are thrilled with the 'management' they receive in labor.

by on Feb. 7, 2008 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AFWifey_05
by on Feb. 7, 2008 at 2:23 PM
Wow, that doesn't sound good at all. I don't know why some women would want that...
I wouldn't want my baby out at a certain time and do whatever it takes to make it come out that time... That just sounds so wrong... giving birth is a long process and really shouldn't be forced like that.
I heard of women going to the doc so they can get induced and have the baby out on december 31st so they can still get a tax refound for that child form the whole year.
But yeah, don't say anything... it already happend and you'll only be starting a big debate and arguement.

Looking for Wives of MTIs stationed at Lackland. Join me:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/LacklandMTIWives

Banani263
by on Feb. 7, 2008 at 3:02 PM
I know it is really hard for me to keep quiet in these situations. Wish there was a simple way getting every mommy informed without sounding like a know it all or preaching to them. I've started to just keep my mouth shut too.
EuroMomTX
by on Feb. 8, 2008 at 12:34 PM
Yeah and on most posts it makes it sound like the women are totally bullied into this- but I think more often than not women are all too happy to get what they get....

SHINEINSIDE1977
by on Feb. 8, 2008 at 1:38 PM

If women as a whole were more educated on the child birth process and how beautiful it can be without all the drugs and interventions, I think our world would be a much better place to bring our children in to.  Instead, we have to constantly be subjected to others 'expert' advice on how we should deliver our babies and control our lives.  I know that some women cannot have the luxury of giving birth naturally due to health related issues, but God bless those that do!  I loved the whole natural birthing process myself, even with the pain that went along with it, and now I have a beautiful little girl that did not have to enter the world pumped full of unnecessary drugs.  She was able to come out wide-eyed and curious, instead of drugged and out of it mentally.  Sorry to rant and rave, but I really think that if there were more educational resources available to expecting women, maybe more of them would decide to go against the 'norm' and have their babies the natural way God intended them to deliver .

AFWifey_05
by on Feb. 8, 2008 at 3:11 PM
I wanted to give birth to my first child (my son) naturally. But we were moving 7 weeks before my due-date and all the classes i wanted to take (in the military hospital) were filled out or only once a month and exctly during those times we couldn't make it. I wish i could've had a midwife and all of that. I know i could've mad eit if i wouod've had more support and education about it. I had him with an epidural but i gotta say he wasn't drugged up at all. He was as open-eyed and curious as my daughter (who was born naturally) and was great at nursing right away.
Yup, today education about natural childbirth isn't so good. I never heard my docs give me any advise on it.

DessieX
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 10:48 AM
Maybe I'm the slow one, but why did she have to be induced?  Her husband being a firefighter is going over my head.  Did she have medical problems?  Could she have had medical problems and not mentioned it?
AFWifey_05
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Quoting DessieX:

Maybe I'm the slow one, but why did she have to be induced?  Her husband being a firefighter is going over my head.  Did she have medical problems?  Could she have had medical problems and not mentioned it?

I'm guessing that htye wanteds to make sure he was there for the birth. Being a firefigher he could get called away at anytime...

DessieX
by on Feb. 9, 2008 at 7:08 PM
It just seems odd because 3 and a half weeks is early for someone who isn't going to be deployed.  I think there's something the induced Mama isn't saying.
EuroMomTX
by on Feb. 10, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Quoting DessieX:

It just seems odd because 3 and a half weeks is early for someone who isn't going to be deployed.  I think there's something the induced Mama isn't saying.

No medical problems. No deployment. Not sure why she mentioned her husband's job since other husbands work outside the home as well but she was just terrified of going into labor at home without her husband there.
She asked and the Doctor said 'Why not Thursday? You are already 40% effaced so you could go into labor all by yourself in a week anyway if we don't induce earlier."
She said she was surpised (pleasantly) herself that he suggested such an early date but attributed it to her stage of effacement.
So to avoid the horror of having to experience the beginning of labor at her home- away from a hospital- they induced super early in case she would have naturally gone into labor before her due date.
She just wants to have her husband there. Every minute. We are a club for stay-at-home-moms and usually it's just us moms and our kids but if she participates in any activities she usually brings her husband too.

The baby was smaller than her previous son (who was induced a week early - again to make sure the husband would be there from the very first contraction on) and the doctor told her that that's normal because girls are just more petite. Ahem yeah, especially if you shave off 4 weeks of growing...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)