Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
Hey Ladies,
I have a strange question.  Why do some women push for hours and others push for minutes? 
I pushed for less than 5 minutes with both my babies, and they were both BIG 8 plus pound babies.  I am only 5'2 and average build, so I know size has nothing to do with it.  Just curious.....
by on Feb. 18, 2008 at 8:17 PM
Replies (11-12):
EuroMomTX
by on Feb. 24, 2008 at 5:06 PM
I pushed for nearly 4 hours and in every possible position. Seriously I thought Duncan might be born with my butt hanging out the window!
In retrospect I didn't eat enough in early labor and started pushing before I really had the urge. In the end I was so exhausted the midwives even started to give me oxygen and started to consider transfer (Duncan was born at home). But my Pumpkin's heart stayed strong and we stayed at home.
Towards the end one of them noticed he was ROT and couldn't tuck in his head. The midwive helped him turn a bit and he was born shortly after with a very bruised head from bumping against my pubic bone for hours...
He was 9 lbs 13 oz and to this day still has the most beautiful big round head. No flat head here.
For my next birth I have two resolutions:
1) eat and drink more in the early phases
2) don't start pushing until I feel the urge

kaysun
by on Feb. 25, 2008 at 1:03 PM
size as in body size and the size and shape of your pelvis are two different things and that accounts for the difference some have-wide open pelvises and some have narrow and titled pelvis, it also has to do with how your baby is presenting itself. As with my case my kids where faces face up versus down and there for they had a bigger hurdle to over come . Also if you are cut or not can speed or slow things up. Also just because a baby is big say 8 plus pound you have to think about the shape of the baby over all or the size of the shoulders. Also it is better to control your pushing to avoid tearing ect, so that is why some take a little longer to let the tissues stretch naturally) My 3 babies head and shoulder were almost 15" apiece, where as the shoulders are usually 1" smaller, he was 2 ounces smaller then my first son but so much larger in body size. So that is why the difference it can also be how long was the women in labor a short or average labor a women would have more energy/strength to push the baby out. A longer one like mine was well lets say if you have been up for almost 2 days with out rest and in labor to boot it hard to push out that watermelon when you feel like a wet noodle. However I only took about 20-30 minutes to get my kids out. my kids were 9#, 10.4, 10.2, no cuts or tears, I took my time(well some what) to avoid tearing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)